Solved! UPGRADING SONY VAIO SVE1513ACNB (2013) FROM HDD TO SSD

Aug 25, 2023
I have laptop which turns 10 next month. I want to change its HDD 500 Gb to SSD . I asked on Sony Support , but they said " its not recommended to do changes with storage as the company has shut down its operations in India " . He didn't bother to explain the technical reason. Is there really something that I shouldn't change it? Also the HDD has aged 10 years. I checked the disk and I've attached the results from this software. Should I use SSD? Also how much reading/writing speed would be there as I'm planning to buy 500 MBPS ssd. I don't know how much can my laptop do at maximum.
https://pbs-prod.linustechtips.com/monthly_2023_08/image.png.34bee7f8e39b3d8a6021ad6debca63cf.png

image.png.34bee7f8e39b3d8a6021ad6debca63cf.png

Aug 25, 2023
I've order Samsung 870 Evo SSD by now. I was in doubt that it may damage the motherboard... I'm still unsure.
Is there possible chance that using genuine ssd can damage the MB? I saw some reviews in WD SSD that it damaged their MB.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I've order Samsung 870 Evo SSD by now. I was in doubt that it may damage the motherboard... I'm still unsure.
Is there possible chance that using genuine ssd can damage the MB? I saw some reviews in WD SSD that it damaged their MB.
Unless you do something to damage the motherboard, you should be fine. Just replacing the HDD with a SSD should be fine otherwise.

I have performed such an upgrade many times in other laptops and never had an issue.

Reactions: kadxprime
Aug 25, 2023
Unless you do something to damage the motherboard, you should be fine. Just replacing the HDD with a SSD should be fine otherwise.
What are the "Dont's" ?
I have performed such an upgrade many times in other laptops and never had an issue.
Can you refer me on how do I repair this HDD so I can use it as external storage without further data loss , such as using windows commands. It has 100 bad irreparable sectors already.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Given the HDD's age, you should consider cloning to a new drive altogether. You definitely need a backup solution.

I would not recommend relying on the old drive as a reliable storage device. Putting a SATA HDD into an external enclosure is a trivial matter and can be done for little cost.

https://www.amazon.com/2-5-hard-drive-enclosure/s?k=2.5+hard+drive+enclosure

When swapping storage devices in the laptop, don't "force" anything into place. Take note of the original HDD for any possible mounting brackets and alignment with connectors. Replicate when configuring the SDD for installation. Taking pictures for reference could help. But, it really isn't a complicated process.

Reactions: kadxprime
Aug 25, 2023
Given the HDD's age, you should consider cloning to a new drive altogether. You definitely need a backup solution.

I would not recommend relying on the old drive as a reliable storage device.
I cannot find HDDs from reliable brands under 1TB. I think 1TB storage has become mainstream now. I will transfer the data to my mobile.
When swapping storage devices in the laptop, don't "force" anything into place. Take note of the original HDD for any possible mounting brackets and alignment with connectors. Replicate when configuring the SDD for installation. Taking pictures for reference could help. But, it really isn't a complicated process.
That is the worst thing. When I was replacing RAM stick, the stick fell bw motherboard and plastic cover, and it was really tough to slide the RAM stick back.
I hope such doesn't happen again. Thanks for ideas..