Should I upgrade my laptop or save for a new one ?

Afifi96

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi everyone,
I know that's a question that have been asked probably a thousand time, but each case is specific and I'm really struggling to decide what to do here.
I’ve been wondering if I should upgrade my laptop (and replace the broken screen at the same time) or save money for a new one.

Here’s my laptop specs :
-Toshiba tecra R850-1EJ
-Intel Core i5 2450M (dual core 2.5 GHz, second gen)
-500 GB 2.5” Toshiba HDD MK5061GSYN (sata 2.6)
-1 x 4 GB Samsung sodimm drr3 ram 1333MHz M471B5173BH0-CH9
-768 x 1366 LCD 15.6” wide 16/9 screen with a lot of burned pixel (they stay white) 40 pin connector

So my plan is to replace the HDD by an SSD for 40/70 € depanding if I go for 128GB or 240GB (120gb are barely enough for what I need) and put 8gigs of ram for 40-50 € (that would be 20 € if I could just add the same stick but it’s single channel and wouldn’t work). On the top of that I need to change the display because of a 27 pixels column of burned pixel and according to laptopscreen http://www.laptopscreen.com/French/model/Toshiba/TECRA%20R850%20SERIES/ that’s 70 € plus 5-10 € of shipment, I would have really like a higher resolution like 900p.
So it will cost me about 200 € to refresh my laptop, beside the cpu but I think it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to look for a second hand mobile with the same socket plus its cost. Maybe I’m wrong on that point, correct me if I am. So it’s either I’m spending this on the laptop I have or I save for a decent middle-end laptop/tablet with keyboard.
Can you help me decide?

Solution
If you feel the the i5-2450m still gives you enough performance for whatever you are doing, then I would say upgrading it is a viable option. The most tricky thing about the upgrade is replacing the LCD screen because you need to open up the laptop to disconnect the display from the motherboard and you also need to remove the bezel to access the display itself. Be sure to search for the service manual for your specific laptop model since it will give you instructions on how to take your laptop apart.
If you feel the the i5-2450m still gives you enough performance for whatever you are doing, then I would say upgrading it is a viable option. The most tricky thing about the upgrade is replacing the LCD screen because you need to open up the laptop to disconnect the display from the motherboard and you also need to remove the bezel to access the display itself. Be sure to search for the service manual for your specific laptop model since it will give you instructions on how to take your laptop apart.

Solution