Solved! should i use sodimm or dim memory for a toshiba x500-s1801

Hello zenomorf;

Use CPU-z and it will help ID the exact RAM used in your laptop and then we can help you find RAM that is a good match.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

softwares-cpuz-05.jpg

zenomorf

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
my toshiba brand new came with 2 x 2gb pc3-8500s at 1066mhz not 1333mhz and toshiba direct even told me to buy 1066mhz for it to upgrade it not 1333mhz like pyree said. toshiba direct doesn't even sell 1333 mhz modules for this laptop, they are all 1066mhz like the 2x2gb modules that are in it now so this is getting confusing here when toshiba doesn't even sell 1333mhz modules for it..

clarkjd

Distinguished

Just because Toshiba doesn't sell them doesn't mean they won't work, just that Toshiba hasn't tested them. Have you gone to any of the memory vendor websites and put your laptop into their configurator to see if they have other types of RAM that they have tested and work?

clarkjd

Distinguished

Probably not anything you would notice.. You would only know from running benchmarks. :pt1cable:

clarkjd

Distinguished

His laptop only has two memory slots, and they are both occupied. It looks like he is trying to add more memory by going to 2x4GB memory modules.

Has he checked to see if he has two empty RAM expansion slots on the backside?
A lot of the BIG notebooks have two slots on the motherboard (filled) and two more slots (empty).

I suppose he's thinking he'll get better gaming performance? Or is for something like better Photoshop performance?

clarkjd

Distinguished

zenomorf

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
yep there are only 2 slots with 2 x 2gb in it at 1066mhz but i finally found out that both 1066mhz and 1333mhz will work fine so i'm getting crucial's 2 x4gb 1333mhz kit then i'll have 8gb which is the max. for this laptop. it's fast enough without it at only 4gb but another 4gb won't hurt lol. thanks guys....

TRENDING THREADS