Should You Buy a Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigceebin4

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Let me answer this for all of you that think you know. (I will give you my qualifications: I own a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii, and a Wii U). I will say this: THE WII U IS BY FAR THE BEST CONSOLE FOR THE MONEY/VALUE. IT's head and shoulders above the PS3 and 360, and if you know how to do things right you can turn it into a fantastic media center as well. I still play it more than my PS4. Its graphics are amazing, and it's gameplay is completely different. Once you incorporate all the aspects into it, it will low you away. Don't get me wrong, it cant touch the PS4 on a lot of levels, nothing can. But YES its well worth the money.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
At least you don't have to pay a subscription for services offered by the console, such as Xbox One or PS4. For that reason alone I look forward to purchasing a WiiU eventually. On the other hand I'm very offput purchasing a Xbox One and PS4 just for the fact of having to have a subscription to utilize some services. If we keep allowing these kinds of things to happen, it'll be a slippery slope.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Right now, a 32GB Wii U costs $270 by itself (don't bother with the 8GB Wii U; taking requisite system data into account, there's almost nothing left for games)

You're forgetting about the fact that the Wii U has an SD card slot. You can buy an 8 GB Wii U for $50 cheaper and get a 32 GB SD card for $20 and save some money.

Jose Lagos

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Funny thing that all my Friends that bought a wii u and ps4 all they agree that wii u is the most played of the two and its really fun too, look for some Reviews you will see that a Lot of people is really satisfied with it specialy with the New Mario, Zelda WW, wonderful 101

Ghostbustar

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Man, I feel like some of these articles are written by people reading other articles and and then basing there opinions on that. I wonder if this writer actually has sat down with a wii u for even a day at minimum. This would certainly help to get hands on experience before writing his opinion to world. People we must not be sheep. try it out. Mario 3d world is on display to try at best buy or the source. Seeing videos on youtube is one thing. Playing the actual game is another. That game looks amazing. This 'rhetoric' that the wii u is only a little more powerful than the ps3 and xbox 360 really needs to stop. Its like a bad rumor that keeps spreading. Get your facts straight. Bad ports do not equal bad hardware. Nintendo went a different route with their hardware, but they are not stupid. Do you really think the company would put out hardware that would not be able to produce some powerful graphics. I have my wii u and I am very happy with it, and I am a gamer. 2014 is gonna be a great year for it.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
drop the price to 199.99 and it will become a lot more attractive to the masses esp the ones on a budget. because as the price stands right now you can get a ps4 for an extra 100 bucks that is a lot more powerful.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Yes.

I played with one and it really feels nice as a console. The control, being huge as it is, it's not uncomfortable and the "play on you controller" features is really, really nice. Specially when the Console is on a very demanded TV.

Games wise, Nintendo needs to step up with more 1st parties soon. Smash Bros will make the WiiU sell more indeed, but it needs more Zelda, Marios and Metroid. please oh please make a real good game for the Metroid franchise!

Cheers!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
why are people doubting the wii u? first of all, they never needed to backpeddle like sony or microsoft. not only that, but most nintendo exclusives hold their value for years and years, some even go up! and the nintendo formula is mastered, and unavailable on PC. sony and ms regurgitate the same thing year after year, and since the archticture is x86, there isn't much more optimization available. which means that games will not look drastically better as they did on the 360 or ps4.

i will be getting a wii u.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
its a funny thing for me. I consider the ps4/xb1 redundant as the pc will aways be superior. I'm enthused about this next gen because finally the pc "ports" will be higher end. the aging last made pc gaming a little sub par.

as for the Wii u, it's something different, a different kind of platform, different kinds of exclusive games. unique controller, although a little bulky, and pretty cheap. I don't have one yet, but probably will when a few more good titles are released.

coupe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I agree with the comments. Right now Wii U is by far the best console. Sure it doesn't have the raw horsepower, but it has the games.

One thing people get confused about is CPU/GPU power = good looking games, and that is it. Absolutely, it does help, but great art and attention to detail is what makes games look great, not just lense flare and anti-aliasing.

The other important detail is people commenting about Nintendo just doing the same games over and over again. In a way, it is right. However, the important thing is Nintendo development. Nintendo, most of the time, brings new gameplay to each game. So, although the games feature many of the same characters; the experience in the game is a significant update on historical play and/or brings new and fun gameplay to the table.

That is why people play and should play/purchase Nintendo games and systems, in my opinion.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Love the Wii U. Can't say it's as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One, but it definitely makes up with game design and creativity. Love playing it with the kids, awesome co-op and multi-player experiences. I find myself playing on it even after the kids go to bed...and this is coming from a PC gamer who owns quite a few FPS and RTS titles.

It feels like the author of this review is a little biased. It make me wonder if he even picked up a Wii U for a decent amount of time and got hands on experience. Admittingly, he tries to balance pros and cons, but general attitude just prevails of console failure. If you approach playing on this system with a hardcore mindset, of course you're going to be let down. The Wii U never sold itself that way though...please don't expect it.

Some latest sales figures for the curious: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Sells-119-000-One-Week-Dominates-Japanese-Sales-Charts-61243.html

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Love the Wii U. Can't say it's as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One, but it definitely makes up with game design and creativity. Love playing it with the kids, awesome co-op and multi-player experiences. I find myself playing on it even after the kids go to bed...and this is coming from a PC gamer who owns quite a few FPS and RTS titles.

It feels like the author of this review is a little biased. It make me wonder if he even picked up a Wii U for a decent amount of time and got hands on experience. Admittingly, he tries to balance pros and cons, but general attitude just prevails of console failure. If you approach playing on this system with a hardcore mindset, of course you're going to be let down. The Wii U never sold itself that way though...please don't expect it.

Some latest sales figures for the curious: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Sells-119-000-One-Week-Dominates-Japanese-Sales-Charts-61243.html

Xp3K

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
The Wii systems are both family oriented and not really for gamer enthusiasts. The Wii U took a lot longer than nxt-gen consoles to sell at least three million copies, and are only hoping to sell four million within the next three months. Sony already predicts another 5 million for PS4 within 1-2 months, and that was earlier this month, where Christmas shopping was at peak. People just don't see the Wii U as something worth it. The graphics and new systems aren't on par with the nxt-gen consoles, and the CEO says they might try to appeal to more current gamers and switch up their style. I've yet to see any large debates on whether you should get Wii U or a nxt-gen console. Normally, parents just buy Wii Us for their young kids. The reality is, Nintendo needs to step it up, and quickly. I don't want another dead console.

Status
Not open for further replies.