Sighted: Nexus One Running Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

failboat

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
1:06 VNC login. Anyone know why he does that? Is the OS really inside the phone or is this just a remote view using VNC.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Considering the processing power of smart phones is approaching low-end netbooks, this is not unrealistic. The screen size is the main limitation. A USB video adapter or a roll-out plastic display could fix that. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (or a virtual system that uses the camera) and you have a very portable desktop system.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]failboat[/nom]1:06 VNC login. Anyone know why he does that? Is the OS really inside the phone or is this just a remote view using VNC.[/citation]
The connection was localhost (loopback), Probably just to skip Graphics driver problems and provide a properly designed interface.

Ubuntu was running ON THE PHONE, He was just using a remote client to provide the connection to a Virtual Visual Environment.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]There are quite a few folks who have already run a slimmed down version of Linux (esp. openBSD/Fedora) on the G1.[/citation] openBSD isn't Linux, Android is:)
As a long time Linux/GNU user I was really disappointed that google made it so difficult to get standard *nix apps to work on this. I understand why they did it but as a power user I'd like to setup my firewall and network options the way I want without losing waranty or at least start a ssh and http server on it.
HTC gave Flash support with last update and the performance on these is horrible... I don't know what he expects from running hulu on this through vnc.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I did this on my HTC Magic with Debian about a year ago.
Useless because you keep running out of RAM.

The loopback VNC connection is because we lack a proper graphics driver but we would also need some sort of input driver (touchscreen, keyboard).

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Awesome! That also proves again how less resources Linux requires compared to Windows. I myself would try it when I get my hands on one such smartphone.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Awesome! That also proves again how less resources Linux requires compared to Windows. I myself would try it when I get my hands on one such smartphone.[/citation] This phone has 512MB of RAM. That's as much as PS3 and X360. I remember my old gentoo booting with KDE3 using 90-120MB. Just checked and my desktop now uses 1GB + 3GB of caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.