Single jack headset and laptop, mic won't work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spatho

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
So I just bought a new laptop and I'm trying to plug in my Razer headset. My headset is a single jack that came with a splitter in case i have a 2 jack, which my old laptop had. It worked fine but, now I remove the splitter and plug the jack into the one (which was a headset and mic depicted on it) and only the sound works.

I went into Realtek HD manager which is different now and clicked a black circle and set it to headset. Only sound.

- if I click on the mic, it works.
-if I click on sound output, only headphones work.
-if I click on headset only the headphones work.

So I know if I choose the mic, it can detect it but not both at the same time. I went into my recording and playback devices and it only ever shows Realtek audio device whether the headset is plugged in or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So it isn't showing the external mic then at all? I see, then I would start to wonder if your jack is actually a dual one (input/output) and not just input. OR that, adapter included or not, it isn't working using the adapter, which sadly happens a lot. You might want to try using an adapter that works through a USB port and see if that works for you.
If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the "Recording" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: It the microphone doesn't show in the listed items, try right clicking on the empty white space on that screen and make sure both show disabled and show disconnected are checked.

spatho

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Either when i plug it in and set it as mic or headset microphone always shows up as realtek hd microphone. so that wouldnt work.

So it isn't showing the external mic then at all? I see, then I would start to wonder if your jack is actually a dual one (input/output) and not just input. OR that, adapter included or not, it isn't working using the adapter, which sadly happens a lot. You might want to try using an adapter that works through a USB port and see if that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Apr 25, 2018
I still have also the issue ive just got buyed a new headset with a single 3.5mm jack and my also has a one port . What's my problem is the microphone of my headset didnt work and the microphone of my laptop absorb all of the noises. so basically the microphone of my laptop are working and the microphone of my headset didnt . So how should i need to fix it up / any suggestion guys ?
Thank you

May 16, 2018
I have the same issue.

Just bought a new laptop that has a dual mic/headset port, when I plug anything into it the realtek HD audio manager gives me the option to select if it was a mic or headphones, but not both. If I select headset the sound works but it stays on internal laptop mic, if I select mic the mic on the headset works but it plays from the internal laptop speakers.

Jul 21, 2018

try these.
have not tried it yet, but i hope it helps you

S67HO.jpg

71FdC0lUpHL._SX425_.jpg

Sep 1, 2018
I got the same nature of issue with my headset.
Recently bought a gaming headset which has a speaker & mic function.
Laptop only got 1 jack.
So when I plug in the speaker of the headset, of course, there's only audio, same as when I plug in the mic which functions quite well(after minutes of rummaging around looking for ways on how to shut up the built-in mic of windows 10).

Wanting to use both functions simultaneously, I bought a splitter.
But when I used the splitter, Realtek popped-up an option to choose whether I will be using the Speaker or Mic. There's no option to use both at the same time, It has to be one or the other.
Both the speaker & mic functions well, its just Realtek doesn't give options to choose both simultaneously.

What to do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.