'Six Strikes' Anti-Piracy Scheme Delayed, Says CCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
How will the ISPs know that you are downloading illegal content? Will they be sniffing data packets or relying on your history of searches with their DNS servers?

freeman94

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]How will the ISPs know that you are downloading illegal content? Will they be sniffing data packets or relying on your history of searches with their DNS servers?[/citation]
Anti-piracy = anti-privacy

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Deep packet inspection is certainly possible, but unreliable. Encrypting data streams makes it much, much harder (not impossible, the encryption handshake is also on their network), and data mining packets is a lot harder than most people think.

I'd guess it's largely going to be more of the same. The MPAA/RIAA contacts the ISP after collecting a list of IP addresses in a swarm, demanding action. The ISP then forwards the complaint to you.

Fortunately, the fact that there are no requirements for what action, if any, must be taken makes this system largely toothless. ISPs will continue doing essentially nothing, because it's bad for business to punish your customers, even though many people don't have much choice in ISP.

lievyon

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I sense the proxy server business in certain countries are going to be booming in the near future as the Gov't of "free" societies come up with these rediculous ideas to try to stop something that is unstopable.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]nope just bit torrents, they cant track other forms of downloading[/citation]

There is nothing on this subject that I have read that indicates this will be restricted to bit torrents. If what you say is true, let's see the link. I believe it will apply to all forms of download http/ftp/peer to peer/etc. It has been left rather murky on how they intend to detect these illegal downloads, but if it involves packet sniffing they will have some serious legal issues they'll have to deal with. If it involves tracking info through DNS servers then that is rather easily circumvented by simply using the ip addresses directly or simply not using your ISP's DNS servers (I can envision private parties setting up open DNS servers for people to use for just this reason). There are also independent DNS servers on the internet already that are there because many of the larger ISP's have overworked DNS servers that are slow as molasses.

The long and short of it is that Copyright Alert System will either intrude on privacy (via packet sniffing) or will just be another layer that pirates will be able to get around.

Luckily my ISP is not a signatory to this plan so I can continue to enjoy my relative privacy on the net. I am not a pirate of any kind of content, but if my ISP was on board with this, I'd drop them in a second and sign up with one that values my privacy.

It also seems to me that these content companies will be spending alot more on this then they would ever make in a perfect world, because even if pirates weren't able to pirate, most wouldn't buy said content anyway. So an upshot of this could be that these companies spending all these resources on trying to protect their copyrights will end up costing honest people more for the content then they otherwise would have paid. And in the long run will hasten the demise of these big organizations.

On the other hand if these companies would simply realize that it doesn't cost them as much to distribute content on the net and pass said saving to their customers (instead of charging MORE than if one bought physical media) then many or even most pirates wouldn't have the incentive to feel they have to steal it.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Now can someone please find the part that should make everyone do a double take?

Hint:

ISPs were expected to send out the first warning to alleged pirates by the end of the year

Still nothing?

ISPs were expected to send out the first warning to alleged pirates by the end of the year

So ISP's are now implimenting a system based off no actual proof of infringement, most likely just a bunch of IP's randomly grabbed from a third-party the MPAA/RIAA and others outsource to, and report to the ISP's. So I'm starting to understand the phrase, Judge, Jury, and Executioner a little more.

Most major ISP's in America own the majority of television networks/channels or have vested interests in them. Now they make the rules, but if you don't like what they're doing this is a capitalist free market America we're talking about, I can just switch to another provider, right? Wait. In most medium to highly populated areas there is usually only one Cable provider and one DSL (Teleco) provider. Damn it, they happen to fall under that "Major national ISP" category. Competition? Oh Cable Companies tend to get 10, 15, 20 year locks on the cities/counties they invested in with service. As for DSL, hell they're just trying to stay relevent in a DOCSIS 3.0 and FIOS moving world, much less make any real effort to milk customers to pay for there dying infrustructure.

I feel sorry for the smaller towns that don't even get a second option for a provider, usually they're just stuck with one tyrant. If it wasn't for Fukashima I'd probably move to Japan, U.S. is slowly destroying the very thing they created.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This is pointless.
This will only affect americans, as the anti-piracy legal teeth only work in the US....
Problem is, most pirating occurs in china.... besides... this will only catch noob pirates... hardly a catch to be proud of...

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!
Yar - har - fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is all right to be!
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
"The agreement to enforce this new anti-piracy system -- the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) -- was made with the MPAA, RIAA, and all the major ISPs in North America last July."

Shouldn't that read:

"The agreement to enforce this new anti-piracy system -- the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) -- was made with the MPAA, RIAA, and all the major ISPs in America last July."

Because, that wasn't made with any Canadian ISPs!

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]Damn, fuc**ng goverment![/citation]

You do realize that these are ALL private businesses entering into this agreement not the government. I thought you free market anti government types were ok with firms doing what they like with their products/services.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Separate databases? Great! I have Time Warner and Verizon Fios available to me in this area. As I understand it the notices expire in a year, meaning all six have to be in the same 12 month period. Now if I get up to 5 notices I'll just switch providers and start fresh :)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]Damn, fuc**ng goverment![/citation]
The government has ZERO involvement in this.

[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]You do realize that these are ALL private businesses entering into this agreement not the government. I thought you free market anti government types were ok with firms doing what they like with their products/services.[/citation]
They only seem to approve of it....if there's no chance of it potentially hindering their stealing.....

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]What if the person belongs to a "religion" and his "faith" involves sharing files for the "salvation of his/her soul"?[/citation]
This only covers copyrighted material, which is theft, which no religion supports.

ttg_Avenged

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong but hey, cant we just all buy a VPN for ~5$ per month and be safe/anonymous and have our privacy back?

Seriously, I would love to know if this is true...

Status
Not open for further replies.