Six Year Old Drives to School Thanks to GTA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
My parents are 15 years apart and never once did I have any incidents such as this, my parents were always there for me growing up and will always be there for me if I am in need (I'm now 30 years old with a child of my own, paying my own mortgage, etc.). Seems more like people in general should judge on a case by case basis, instead of sterotyping immediately, because they see something they're uncomfortable with.

This is one of those times you have to just shake your head at the parents for ever giving birth and feel sorry for the child having to grow up in an environment such as this. There is no way the child should have had access to "M-rated" games in the first place. The blame lays soley at the feet of the parents, no matter what age they are. I won't let my kid play games such as GTA, but not because I have something against the game itself (I personally enjoyed GTA4).. but because it's not suited for children. Any parent worth a salt would know this.

Chalk it up to terrible parents.. not age differences, not the game itself, but to sheer ignorance and inability to act like a responsible parent, which includes waking up and getting your child ready for school.

G

How exactly did a 6 year old reach the peddles and see over the dash? Monster Kid?

hustler539

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
The county sheriff also mentioned that the boy was so intent on going to school that after the crash, he proceeded to walk the rest of the way because he did not want to miss breakfast and PE class.

Rofl

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
OK, I'm guessing the kid was playing these games on XBox or PS3 (or Wii)... no steering wheel... no gas pedal... no brake

The kid didn't hit anybody for extra points...didn't pull an oozy out to shoot pedestrians..

How exactly did the video game teach this kid to drive and does the fact he didn't rob anyone on the way count as a learning disability if he did?

(that's called sarcasm people.. obviously he learned to drive somewhere else and video games are getting the blame/credit for it)

G

I'd like to make a point to all those anti-gaming people out there. First off, it was (as stated by many people) the parents fault for allowing the child do play a clearly rated M game, and for having the keys to the car in a place accessible to the child. Now,we all know what games like GTA are, very violent and full of explicit material. I have nothing against it, but I like how the headline of the article puts a negative light on GTA in particular. Of all the thing this kid could have picked up from the game, he only learned how to drive. Now I don't know this kid personally, but it's not like he hijacked someones car or beat up a guy. He simply wanted to get to school. On that note, he could have picked up the ability to drive from any other driving simulator. The only other thing this game could have done was MAYBE impair his decision making of right and wrong, but then again, he IS 6 years old. Maybe any other 6 year old would have done the same thing if they believed they could drive as well? On that note, although there's a lot of destruction that can be done in the game, thank god he wasn't playing something like Need for Speed, or he might have been speeding. If anything, this proves that games are NOT as influential as they are put out to be.

douken

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
If a 6 year old boy could drive that far without taking any lessons then, the minimum age to drive could be lowered. Hail video Games.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
This kid is doing everything right that today's kids should be doing, all except the stealing the car thing. I only wish more kids were actually interested in going to school, eating right, and being physically active. This one obviously was seeing that he didn't want to miss breakfast or gym. He might have learned it from doing all the wrong things like playing Grand Theft Auto, and he might have borrowed the car to go to school, but the enthusiasm is most definitely commendable. I won't comment on anything like the parents' age difference, but they do need to make sure he's not stealing their car!

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My brother went for a joy ride when he was 8... and this was well before video games. Some kids just aren't afraid of anything, they see dad or mom driving and think "Hey... I can do that!"

The parents look to have issues... I know I wouldn't let my 13 year old play GTA, much less a 6 year old.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I don't watch television anymore due to the mentality that those in the media have. Blame video games for everything? I blame the media. They've been banned.

Atticum

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I dont see how this casts video games in a positive light.

The 6 year old has driving skills.... he made it 6/7 miles!! Where did he get them? GTA.

This gives me hope for the future generation! I think its awesome a 6 year old can learn how to drive from a video game.

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
i blame the media, including this article, for the negative stigma around video games. the title should have read "negligent parents 6 year old drives himself to school" the fact that the kid claimed 'GTA made him do it' shouldn't be part of the title. lets try to keep focus on real issue please.

quick, someone make a video game where you are a president who totally sucks so bush has something to blame his 8 years on.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
for those wondering how he reached the pedal: have u ever driven a car? it goes like 5-10 mph without pressing the gas peddle.

stop imagining him going down a road at 45 mph. he probably did it at 5-10 and thats how he managed to go 6 miles without crashing.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Its not the video games fault - it has what, 18+ age rating (depending on country etc) - why did the parenty allow the kid to play it?

What were the parents doing sleeping so late? (although it doesnt say what time it happened etc), and also the factors of GTA IV doesnt have things like keys (to unlock cars), gears to fiddle with nor the gas/break peddles to operate - all physical differences.

If the kid made if it would be awesome, if i had a son and he made it sure id rouse at him, but i would brag that my son pulled of a stunt like that haha, but seriously, if he made it - what would other drivers think when a little kid pulls up his car and gets out, infront of other kiddys, and teachers.

And now the kid prolly thinks "hmmmm i got in trouble for going to school" and aswell the social outcast of getting to school and being the only newby etc...

And the parents weren't watching etc- now we have the delema of now the parents were taken away so they cant watch, great work government.

A+ effort

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]dieseldre2k[/nom]for those wondering how he reached the pedal: have u ever driven a car? it goes like 5-10 mph without pressing the gas peddle.stop imagining him going down a road at 45 mph. he probably did it at 5-10 and thats how he managed to go 6 miles without crashing.[/citation]

Depends of what car too - auto yes, manual - depending on spec etc (eg small cars wont have enough power take off without operating the clutch)

ksat

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
OK - How does this "provides more fuel for those advocating against video game violence?" Based on your article, there was no violence involved with this act. The 6-yr old kid didn't run over anyone, didn't get out and shoot someone, and didn't rape anyone along the way... Where is the VIOLENCE? This was an absurd relationship and assumption - the last article should be removed completely!

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Of course the kid needs to be told it was wrong to take the car, but I wouldn't be harsh on him for that. Instead, I'd compliment him on his desire to go to school. At 6 years old he wanted to go to school so badly he attempted to drive the car, and when he couldn't he walked the rest of the way? All 6 miles... part driving part walking.. at 6 you couldn't get me in the car to go to McDonalds, I'd demand my parents go get it for me.

This kid is my new hero for the week.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
has any one considered teh possible facts,

1. i seriously doubt the parents of ANY parents expect thier 6 year old to actually try to drive the family car
2. i seriously doubt they just "left teh keys layign around"
3. it is possible to concieve teh idea that the kid had to "fish" the keys out of his parens bed room
4. could it be possible the cops just like F-ing over any one they can , for no real reason?
5. as far as allowign the kid to paly those games , that is the parents RIGHT to allow it or not , not that i would let my 6 year old paly GTA , but it is not my place to tell others how the raise thier kids.

I think this is a case of Cops being a-holes hoenstly there are so many circumstances that could have been going on to allow this , circumstances that OCCUR in EVERY household at some point in time. i can guarantee you even the a-hole cops propable go to bed at some point with out "securing" thier car keys in a freaking safe (which is the only way you will stop a determined kid from getting them really)

again this is is a case of where the system just fails totally because of bored cops, if you ask me. i highly doubt teh parent put the keys in the kids hands, all theya re guilty of is over sleeping and being liberals , and last i checked neither of these things are a crime!

Status
Not open for further replies.