Solved! Skullcandy Earbuds don't work on laptop

Sep 4, 2019
So I just bought some new earbuds, Skullcandy Jib+ Active earbuds, model S2JSW. They work fine on my OnePlus 7 but when I try to connect them to my laptop (Dell Vostro 5581), I can't find them when I try to pair them.
I go to the Bluetooth settings and press "add a device" but I can't find these specific earbuds to pair. I've tried powering down the earbuds and powering them on again to try and pair, but that hasn't worked. I've tried using USB to connect them to my laptop and that hasn't worked either. I've gone to device manager but to no avail. I've tried restarting my laptop and updating my drivers, but none of that has worked. I currently live in a dorm on campus at my uni so there are a good amount of other Bluetooth devices, if that helps. I see all of them and other audio devices but not my Skullcandy earbuds.
I'm frustrated and out of options, any ideas?

Solution
Ok, USB is only for charging the earbuds and is not connecting as a playback device.

Does the LED of the Jib earbuds blink while trying to pair?

Did you try pairing it like:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...devices-on-a-dell-notebook-on-and-off?lang=en

Can you unpair the previous bluetooth devices?

Is airplane mode deactivated and bluetooth on? Does this laptop have a hardware switch to turn wireless off? Does the hotkey for wireless turn bluetooth off and on?

Uninstall bluetooth within the device manager of windows (right click on bluetooth -> uninstall)
-> restart the laptop -> reinstall drivers

The specs say that it´s Bluetooth® 5. Maybe it is not backwards compatible, the...
Sep 4, 2019
I've tried updating all my drivers and reinstalling the Bluetooth drivers, but that doesn't work.
They worked with a different type of earbuds, sentry ones and those worked fine. The problem with these Skullcandy ones is that I can't find the Bluetooth device in "add a device."

Ok, USB is only for charging the earbuds and is not connecting as a playback device.

Does the LED of the Jib earbuds blink while trying to pair?

Did you try pairing it like:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...devices-on-a-dell-notebook-on-and-off?lang=en

Can you unpair the previous bluetooth devices?

Is airplane mode deactivated and bluetooth on? Does this laptop have a hardware switch to turn wireless off? Does the hotkey for wireless turn bluetooth off and on?

Uninstall bluetooth within the device manager of windows (right click on bluetooth -> uninstall)
-> restart the laptop -> reinstall drivers

The specs say that it´s Bluetooth® 5. Maybe it is not backwards compatible, the sentry was most likely bluetooth 4.2.

Last edited:
Solution