Skype for Android 3G Calling Hacked Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
The skype app is bugged for me (missing contacts).
And no conference support (I don't want audio in conferences, just text chatting). I haven't tried 3G calling on the phone, but when I connected on the PC with the phone, Skype was unusable even though I had full HSDPA signal. Must be from the latency (150ms) not the bandwidth.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, but the question is whether they have managed to modify the WiFi version to also accept calls through 3G or if they have made the generic 3G version available through a hack.

As it is now, there is a 3G version that only accepts VoIP over 3G and a WiFI version that only accepts VoIP over WiFI which is pretty stupid.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
VoiP protocol FTW! No need to support proprietary networks like Skype. (which might use your bandwidth to connect 2 "behind the NAT" users, without you knowing about it)

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I am getting sick of this trend. Americans are seen by the rest of the world as the rich yuppies that need to "have it stuck to". Not everyone in America is a rich movie star that "can afford it". Yes, I know that this can be hacked, but I think this is bul1sh1t. This should be available to Americans just as it is to the rest of the world.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]I love being a nerd.It's stuff like this.That makes me smile.[/citation]

So close to haiku- mind if I tweak it?

Love being a nerd,
For it is the stuff like this,
That makes me smile big.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I am getting sick of this trend. Americans are seen by the rest of the world as the rich yuppies that need to "have it stuck to". Not everyone in America is a rich movie star that "can afford it". Yes, I know that this can be hacked, but I think this is bul1sh1t. This should be available to Americans just as it is to the rest of the world.[/citation]
Hate to break it to you, but it's not "the rest of the world", it's our own greedy companies that are doing this to us. Google and verizon are American companies. What it is, is that the rest of the world looks out more for the consumer, and here the laws seem to be bent to favor the companies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
More and More we see the corporate world with the business game stacked up in confusing and profit centralized ways bumping up against the consumer side which wants good features, at good prices.

You can't isolate markets that much anymore. They get jealous of other countries getting the same if not better features for half the price. The internet shows people how others get great services and features for good prices in certain markets.

Its going to be interesting, I do hope that businesses get it in their head that they can't rake in the billions by giving people feature starved platforms and narrow boxes to play around in forever. Customers demand the ability to USE things not be limited, if pressed, they break out of those boxes.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]Hate to break it to you, but it's not "the rest of the world", it's our own greedy companies that are doing this to us. Google and verizon are American companies. What it is, is that the rest of the world looks out more for the consumer, and here the laws seem to be bent to favor the companies.[/citation]

Which is why we outsource so much of our business, right?

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Which is why we outsource so much of our business, right?[/citation]
TOUCHE! Point taken. I guess I should've been more specific and said "Europe" instead of "the rest of the world"

G

Hi,

Please note that the version released for Android is NOT the same version as what has previously been released on Verizon. The Verizon app routes all calls over the mobile network.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Which is why we outsource so much of our business, right?[/citation]
outsourcing has nothing to do with a company's policy. If Google, Verizon or any other company outsources it's services, they do it just to make even more money, because they usually pay the out-sourced employees salaries compatible to the ones in their own countries, not the ones back in US. That translates into more profit, not more "favoring the consumer".

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Allen Smith Skype Community Mod[/nom]Hi,Please note that the version released for Android is NOT the same version as what has previously been released on Verizon. The Verizon app routes all calls over the mobile network.[/citation]

Which is JUST AS BAD. When can we Verizon users make calls over WIFI!?!? It would decrease network strain (which might be important if rumors about a VZ iPhone are actually true this time!) and allow us to make WiFi Skype calls in areas where coverage is not so good.

Any lock on functionality is bad in my opinion. I like making 3G skype calls, and truthfully my plan is unlimited data, but I wish we could use either 3G or Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.