Skype Goes Down, Millions of Voices Silenced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]solymnar[/nom]supernodes....mega-supernodes....what's next? Ultra-hyper-mega-supernodes?[/citation]

Yes but they would still be inferior to the super-kamehameha nodes....

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"What are we doing to help? Our engineers are creating new ‘mega-supernodes’ as fast as they can, which should gradually return things to normal. This may take a few hours, and we sincerely apologise for the disruption to your conversations. Some features, like group video calling, may take longer to return to normal."

Since skype has no physical network, who's hardware is being used to perform as supernodes? This makes skype sound like it uses some kind of virus and botnet to maintain its infrastructure.

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Since skype has no physical network, who's hardware is being used to perform as supernodes? This makes skype sound like it uses some kind of virus and botnet to maintain its infrastructure.[/citation]

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

DawnTreader777

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
"Since skype has no physical network, who's hardware is being used to perform as supernodes? This makes skype sound like it uses some kind of virus and botnet to maintain its infrastructure."

i would bet that because skype is peer to peer that it uses everyone who has skype installed as a "supernode". i think i might be uninstalling skype soon and get back the hard drive space, CPU cycles and bandwidth they have been "borrowing".

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I can just see this happening in the not to distant future on some "cloud" thingy , no need to worry as to wether it is a moon or not, har, har, ...:)

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Since skype has no physical network, who's hardware is being used to perform as supernodes? This makes skype sound like it uses some kind of virus and botnet to maintain its infrastructure.[/citation]

It's A Trap!

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
SKYNET -> SKYPE NET? 'Insert scary track'
It really did affect many, and me too i couldn't play my HoN games without skype.

painis

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
[citation][nom]DawnTreader777[/nom]"Since skype has no physical network, who's hardware is being used to perform as supernodes? This makes skype sound like it uses some kind of virus and botnet to maintain its infrastructure."i would bet that because skype is peer to peer that it uses everyone who has skype installed as a "supernode". i think i might be uninstalling skype soon and get back the hard drive space, CPU cycles and bandwidth they have been "borrowing".[/citation]
Forever alone.jpg

j127t

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Happened to me yesterday, tried to download skype several times throughout the day (because of a new build) and no go from their sites.

jojesa

Distinguished
As of today (12/23/2010 - 9:00 AM ET) the services is still down, since I'm unable to sing-in.
I could not sign-in yesterday, tried the whole afternoon.
I understand if it was down for a couple of hours, but soon it will be 24 hours without service.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Skype runs off half a dozen Dell desktop computers from the late 90's in the owners basement. The sewer backed up. The boxes are in the back yard drying, then he'll put them on some milk crates so that never happens again.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Skype runs off half a dozen Dell desktop computers from the late 90's in the owners basement. The sewer backed up. The boxes are in the back yard drying, then he'll put them on some milk crates so that never happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.