Skype is acting really strange?

Xektrix

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
I have 30 mb/s internet, which is better than the 18mb/s I used to have. It should be plenty for Skype, but it keep's acting really weird.

It will work, and my call's never drop or have any interruption really (I've been on 2 3+ hours Skype call's this past week and it was fine the entire time). But Skype seem's to think I'm not connected to the internet or something. The entire time during a call, I'll have the red wifi bar at the top and it will tell me there is something wrong with the connection, even tho it work's just fine. Also the skype homepage always say's it's unavailable, and also there is a blue spinning refresh symbol next to my name where my picture would be. It never stop's spinning, I clicked on it and clicked to set my status to "online" and it is still just spinning. It also didn't tell me if my friend was on or not while on a call. I'm not sure if he is appearing offline or not, but thought it would be worth a mention.

Anyone know what the problem is, and how to fix it? It just seem's so broken, yet it work's just fine when in a call and everything else I do work's just fine. Not really sure what the problem is with this.

Well right now I would not be sure about anything over the internet. Re: all of the recent DDOS attacks. Could be some residual problem somewhere while things are being straightened up.

You could run some pings, tracerts, and pathpings targeting Skype's website. See what the results may indicate.

Otherwise, for now, just keep an eye on your own network. Check all cables and configurations. Think about any recent changes or updates to your system. Pay attention to any error messages or pop-ups.

Likewise look for a pattern with respect the problem's occurence.

Xektrix

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

I don't seem to have a problem with anything else tho, everything seem's to be fine other than the strange behavior from the skype app. Also what has been getting ddosed? Skype, or skype user's? Because I don't think any of my stuff has been leaked, I barely use skype.

Fikzy

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi, i have the exact same problem you described, did you find any way to fix it ? I've had this problem for over a year now.

It all started after i tried to fix the problem of my homepage not being available, i deleted all keys related to skype in the registry after reading on the skype forum to do so, which made everything worse...

@ Fikzy:

Registry editing can be useful and helpful. However the side-effects can be unpredictable as there are so many factors and options involved.

I think I would uninstall the existing Skype application, download a new copy, and reinstall.

Fikzy

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
@ Ralston18:

Oops, forgot to mention that i already tried to reinstall it, multiple times in fact.

First time i did the standard uninstall/reinstall, it changed nothing.
Seconde time i uninstalled, searched and deleted every files related to Skype, changed nothing either.
And today i did a total wipe out of everything related to Skype including folders, key registry, and such using Revo Uninstaller. It showed me all the things that were delete and i was pretty confident that it was going to fix it because it would be like a clean install on a new computer, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue either...

I'm open to any suggestions because i tried everything i could think of.
Thanks.

Btw, should i maybe open a new thread ?

Not sure about the need for a new thread. I would think that a new thread will just start this all looping around again barring some specific error code or other related finding that would be included in the new thread.

Moderators address those sort of things (new threads) and will probably comment accordingly. Either way no problem on my end.

Google "Skype problems". Directly check any related forums and FAQs. See if anyone else is reporting similar problems.

Not sure what else to suggest at this time.