Skype security is terrible?

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Hello all,
Yesterday I downloaded Skype onto one of my machines. I signed in with Microsoft credentials and proceeded to set up the app. That much went fine. Later that night, I turned off my machine and made my way to bed.

This morning, I turned my machine on and Skype popped up and requested that I sign in again. I entered my credentials correctly but it wouldn't take. Then it said "It looks like someone else may have access to your Microsoft Account. Fill in the hidden part of your email to prove account ownership and we'll send you a verification code." I received the verification code within five minutes, the link in the email took me to the official Microsoft website where I changed my password as well as many of my security questions.

Since this already happened once, can I be sure that it won't happen again?

As for my internet connection, my machine connects via Ethernet to a Cisco router which connects to my Xfinity modem. Firewalls are enabled on both devices and Windows Firewall is active, I just checked.

I've never had any previous problems with anyone getting a hold of any of my information. I doubt that my internet connection is the culprit. Would this just be a security issue with Skype?

Thanks in advance to all that offer their assistance.

-Darren

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

So if I used the username xx123xbx and password 12312345 on multiple sites and one of those sites was compromised, the stolen information could be used on other sites? That makes sense, but how would they know that the username xx123xbx existed on other sites?

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

It found nothing, thanks for the link though

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
I have a new development which may be more serious, I'm not sure as to the severity or if it's just Windows asking for confirmation since I've changed my password... Anyways, I opened Groove Music and a popup came up asking for my password. View screenshot on Google Drive.

Should I put my password into this box or should I close it? It won't let me interact with Groove until I get this box off the screen.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Actually, I looked up what the Microsoft boxes look like and it was an exact match, coupled with the absence of anything suspicious in Task Manager. So I went ahead and filled it out. It accepted my credentials.

I'll look into finding a list of all related devices, then I might be able to identify which one it is. Assuming said list exists and I find which device is not mine, how do I undo a forged association with my account?

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Those were the first things I did. I'm no noob when it comes to keeping my information private.