Slight Bill Increase on Time Warner

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Recently got my bill from Time Warner cable, they increased it by around $5-6. I went over the surchages and it seemed a bit funny. Even talked with a customer representative and he sounded very convincing that I couldn't drop anything. Right now I'm only paying for High Speed internet. That's it. And that rounds out to about $87.05 including renting a modem. What I'm not understanding is why I'm paying ANYTHING for TV.

I had a digital adapter set up for the TV just to watch local channels. Not anymore, now I just use the TV apps to watch the news. For whatever reason I'm still getting charged for a digital adapter, asked the rep why, and he explained that the adapter box is still needed to give my TV a code. If I decided to hand the digital box over to their store so I wouldn't get charged, they would also take the code and I can't access any more of the apps. Is that true?

A 2nd thing is the Broadcast TV Surcharge. I'm told that this is something they can't remove. Its part of them increasing the bill on customers. Is this true? Again I don't use their channels at all, just the apps through my router. Not sure if he's trying to pull a fast one, any help is appreciated guys.

edit: Don't know if this helps but my TV comes with built in Roku.

Solution
Well channels like AMC are not free in anyways, so somewhere it knows you're a cable sub and able to use it. Think about it, to watch on TV, you have to pay for the channels and the right to view them, but suddendly because you're using an app, it's free and you don't pay?
You have to have some sort of TV service to be able to use their TV app, otherwise you wont have access to their streaming service.

So wihtout ditching the tv streaming I doubt there is anything they can do to reduce cable portion of bill.

Now has TWC switched to Charter Sepctrum in your area.
Charter only has 1 internet package (at least in my area) which is $60 for 60mbps with free modem rental.

If nothing else you can threaten to switch and they willl usually negotiate with you. Be prepaired, know what it will cost with another provider for both services and they will likely give you "new customer" prices.

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

It has switched to Spectrum in my area. I have talked with them previously and this is the lowest I could get them to drop. Before and after I dropped paying for cable. I don't know if I can get them to lower it anymore, the last few times I could not get anything lower just for my internet bill. Might be worth another shot.

To be honest it still doesn't make sense. I'm just using the Roku apps that are built into my TV that I bought from Best Buy. Why does Time Warner Cable need to bill me for TV usage when I'm only using their internet? But they need to cling to something since they're losing customers left and right.

What roku apps are you using? If you're using one that connects to TWC, then you have to pay them for it.

It's like netflix. Jusit because the roku has an app in the TV you bought form bEst Buy for Netflix, you're not entitled to use it for free. You still have to pay Netflix.

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Free ones. Off the top of my head, Reuter, ABC News, CNBC, NBC, Crunchyroll, AMC. I don't pay any subscription. All the ones I use are Free and listed as free. Not sure if that relates to me using TWC. That means apps that specifically state that I use my cable company in the description? I don't use any of those apps.

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Roku itself asked for a code when I first set the TV up. All the individual apps I use, no.

Well channels like AMC are not free in anyways, so somewhere it knows you're a cable sub and able to use it. Think about it, to watch on TV, you have to pay for the channels and the right to view them, but suddendly because you're using an app, it's free and you don't pay?

Solution

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

I keep thinking of it like apps on my smartphone. I pay to make sure I can call or text but that's it. Apps I use for free unless they have their own subscription and you pay that at your own discretion. I'm paying my ISP for internet access to use wifi at home for apps, not for channels. Channels aren't apps, at least how I think of it. I'm accessing the news through the internet. I can view them on their website but I'm using my TV to watch the news on their website rather than a computer or phone. But I'm starting to understand.

Basically any ISP will have a basic requirement that you as a consumer cannot get rid of. If you have a TV you need to pay something even if you use cable. I don't agree with it at all. TV is just like a phone or a computer. Its a median to access content wired or wireless. You shouldn't have to pay extra on your phone to use a free app. Will AT&T charge me an extra $5 every month because they notice I use the Playstation APP on my smartphone? Will my ISP charge me an extra $8 because they noticed I'm accessing the Crunchyroll website? That's how I'm looking at it.

I don't agree with it but I understand. They need to make sure they profit as a business. Unlike other companies, cable companies need to penny pinch or else they won't meet their quoatas per year. More people are simply migrating towards their phones or TVs for subscription services rather than cable. And I'm assuming the numbers are growing per year as the younger generation takes over. I'm getting a little deep here but that's how I imagine it. Thanks for teaching me a little though. If there's nothing else to add I'll pick the solution.