Slow internet speed on one computer and fast on the other.

Narek Bayanduryan

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
So on one of my laptops I get 2mbps and on another the advertised 10mbps. I have tried both wireless and wired. My iPad and Phone also get the 10mbps.

The laptop that is getting slow speeds when I use it on the school's wireless connection I get 13mbps so it is well capable of getting 10mbps and is even newer than the other laptop that is getting 10mbps.

So the problem 100% lies in the configuration. Problem is I have no idea what I need to change :/

Edit: I would also like to add there is NOTHING in the background downloading anything. The weird thing is that only download is effected and upload is just as it should be. Also my ping is 3 times higher even with a wired connection vs wifi on another device.

evtehbaus28

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Wired connections don't necessarily improve your speed, they generally just keep the connection more consistent and error free. Anyway, it sounds like a problem with the laptop itself as the other one works fine, so you should contact a customer service rep of your laptop's manufacturer to see if it is a common issue with that system. If it is, they may be able to help you solve the problem with your laptop or you may need to RMA the laptop if it is still under warranty.

Narek Bayanduryan

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
Turns out I had messed up some networking configurations. So I found some page with commands that you can use in command prompt to reset the settings. After that it started working as it should be.

KiranG80

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016

Where do you fimd the solution i am facing the same problem ..please help

Moe2016

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

TCP/IP stack

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.