Slow Laptop Despite Great Specs

Apr 1, 2018
So just as a heads up disclaimer, my laptop is not the newest device. I've had it for at least 3 years possibly 4.

My laptop is an HP Envy m7 Notebook PC

For the specs, my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.60 GHz, my installed RAM is 12.0 GB and the system type is a 64-bit OS, x64-based processor.

The biggest issue I've been running into is that I can't do more than one task at a time without running into slow downs sometimes extreme in certain cases(5 FPS max). The extreme cases don't last more than a 5 seconds but everything just slows to a snails pace. I guess I should also mention that I use my laptop primarily for gaming(Steam is my biggest source and sometimes emulators) and general use(mostly Youtube). The slow down wasn't a problem when I first got the laptop. Any games I played, specifically World of Warcraft, never had a lick of FPS lag. I could even run it on near ultra settings and still be able to listen to a Youtube video in the background. Nowadays, I can't even watch a Youtube video without running into some kind of issue. The video would show the time bar with plenty of the video buffered but it still slows down and even pauses for up to 10 seconds before starting up for a few seconds and then stopping again.

Is this a possible virus(I am an avid mod user so its a possibility) or am I just overtaxing my laptop to the point that its slowing down as a result?