Small, reasonably powerful laptop recommendations

Fried Ram

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
1. What is your budget?

~$400 street -- willing to buy it used

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

< 15 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter much

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

More of a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't matter much

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes. Mainly Source games (e.g., Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, etc), and Call of Duty

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photo Editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Doesn't matter much

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Anywhere

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

~2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Doesn't matter much

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Mainly, the laptop needs a decent graphics processor. I know it's tough to find one that does, at a price this low, but I'm hoping it's possible. The processor should have performance greater than an nVidia 320m, as this one is close but not quite powerful enough for what I need.

Any and all suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated! :D

Fried Ram

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

It doesn't have to play it at very high settings. Just medium/low at native resolution and high framerate. The Samsung QX410 will actually play it pretty well, and it's in the price range I specified, but I'd like just a slightly faster graphics processor.

Hi :)

Seriously...for $400 lol...I think not...

All the best Brett :)

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
400 dlls for a pc possible. 400 dlls for a laptop not possible. Even amds laptop apus run cod at low like at around 20 fps and that is not playable my friend.

You'd be lucky to find a used laptop for $400 that can match what you're seeking.

If you're willing to take a risk (and make some sacrifices):
SAMSUNG Series 3 Refurbished 15" Notebook
AMD A-Series A6-3400M (1.4GHz) APU, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ Radeon HD 6520G graphics.

I'm going to make a guess that it's a returned laptop from some dissatisfied gamer. Most home office/home entertainment users would have found it adequate for their needs.

AMD Radeon HD 6520G
(most of the performance benchmarks shown were done with the faster A6-3410MX (1.6) APU ) so.... 'your mileage may vary'.

Carefully read all the caveats that go with a refurb units:
Warranty period (parts): 90 day
Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days

Computer Replacement Only Return Policy
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#37

Fried Ram

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yes, thank you I guess I should have clarified that average used price is what I'm looking for.