Smart TVs: Everything You Need to Know

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

m.corb

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
JVC smart tv, requires the TV areal and the TV to be tuned in , in order to access the on demand services such as bbciplayer, itv, 5oD, 40D for these apps to work

richardjr

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Also FYI, if you have old Nintendo Wii or other gaming devices around or are buying the new Nintendo switch..note that these can be used with a tv that is not smart or Wi-Fi ready to access and online services. We have spectrum services for cable internet tv channels etc. We also have an Amazon account and Netflix. One thing about our cable company and many may be the same, we already had all Samsung brand smart tv's so when spectrum took over our area, we were told if we have Samsung smart tv's we do not need a set top box which is a monthly rental fee. I know a lot of people who really want to cut the cable cord. But I never will until a faster option and more reliable option comes out for internet, and channels. With the spectrum app, our daughter away at college or any of us on any device can use the cable app anywhere and watch all of our channels which include all ESPN and BBC, etc. Etc. Just like we do Netflix. to me paying for my cable service makes so much sense. Not only do have 300mps or faster internet all the time. I also have all these channels the app, and my favorite whole house DVR. something I will not ever live without, recording 6 channels at a time, and watching them whenever while ff all commercials, PRICELESS. But even if it was just the internet connection it would be worth it. Never goes out...ever.

richardjr

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Wow, are you going to tell people not to get a smartphone either. Just take an old Nextel and put a stick in it. Ok. For the price of an iPhone x i can get a 65 inch Samsung smart UH tv. Hard decision. Duh

mgaissert

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
During a lecture by the local sheriff, the sheriff strongly suggested to have your driver's license engraved on the TV. As in when they see a known thief driving by with a large unwrapped TV in their car they can look for ID on the set and call it in. No ID and they have to let the thief drive on.

Jul 11, 2018
Ok here is my question situation ..
I got Dierctvnow on my phone and bought a SamsungSM-j727A phone to project on my non-smart tv

I can watch Directvnow without a wi-fi now [ out in a field]

I project to my TV now through Ruko device and a DSL phone line wifi [ Fronter ] with 2,4 mpbs[?] signal strength

My phone keeps rebooting while projecting Directvnow onto my TV .

My phone has been hard reset and warranted replaced

Will a “smart” TV stop this rebooting problem ?

Please help and THANKS!!!

Jul 20, 2018
One cannot program a Smart TV to fire off an App and and map to App's unique keypresses, such as with a Harmony Remote. So once again no customization to reduce key presses. Scroll and scroll...at least on Android TVs

Nov 16, 2018
I have a Sony 4K smart TV but use a Fire Stick to get my Netflix. I noticed in my router statistics that my smart TV is using about 3 to 4 GB of data over 30 days. So it appears that while not using this feature it is consuming bandwidth. I will try turning off the WiFi to see if that stops the flow.

Dec 8, 2018
does a smart tv still need a direct or dish service( we have wireless internet), and can a non smart tv in another room be viewed off of the smart tv?
don frisbie

The SMART on TVs refers to its ability to play contents from the Internet. So as long as TV is connected to your internal network it will work. The type of Internet service is of no consequence.

and can a non smart tv in another room be viewed off of the smart tv?
don frisbie
Nope.

But adding smart to ANY TV is very inexpensive these days, usd$50+