SmartWatch for my Kid while he's O/S

Beastiepops

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Hi! I have a tricky scenario and can't seem to find a comprehensive answer online.

I'm in Australia and my 7 year old son is moving to Japan in a few weeks. We'll be apart for three months and I thought it might be good to get him a smartwatch so we can communicate between Japan and Australia. I don't even know if these specs exist, but ideally it would be great to have:

- gps tracker (he'll be walking home from school with friends - apparently that's normal in Japan but it freaks me out so I want him to have a tracker - something I could link to my iPhone)

- a wifi calling app like Skype/Viber so he can make free calls to me when in a wifi zone (would be cool if this was video calling, but not sure that exists, normal voice calls will do). I would consider getting him on a pre-paid plan, but I don't know how that would work calling/msging between Japan and Australia - it would just be so much easier if it was free internet calling.

- maybe a message function so he can text me (but not as important)

- he is keen on having a game or one of those exercise friends to interact with (not that important)

Does anything like this exist??? My situation isn't common and I don't want to buy the wrong thing!!!

Thanks <3
Mel

Solution
I would buy a tab in this case. But if you want to buy him a smartwatch then I would recommend the Samsung smartwatch. They are reliable and available in different styles and price range.

PamyW2

Prominent
Feb 13, 2017
I would buy a tab in this case. But if you want to buy him a smartwatch then I would recommend the Samsung smartwatch. They are reliable and available in different styles and price range.

Solution

Beastiepops

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

Cool, thanks for replying - I'll check them out. I guess I've never really looked at Samsung because I have an iPhone but it seems like a better product tbh...