SMS Messages Can Kill Mobile Phones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]This is my favorite line. I wonder if this was an Apple product. Maybe that's why it's "unnamed". SSsshhhh.... quiet... the antenna works...[/citation]

"The phones tested were simple feature phones (as opposed to smartphones such as the iPhone or Android devices)"

Someone was so eager to Apple bash they forgot to read first.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I can remeber when the networks had just started down are side about 10 years ago, I had this Nokia 8210...... lovely phone, still miss it though.
And the new cell provider who's network I was on always seemed to have congestion problems.... and I used to manage to get my calls thru by just rebooting the tower I was connected to using that sweet phone.....lol.
I guess that used to "Wedge" nearly all the people connected to the tower then.... so it's really no big deal... you just need to have more hackers in your company then the group trying to get you down.
And the best part is, why would anyone want to kill someones mobile phone? and not the owner himself?
Worrying about stupidity is going to be the end of us.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
It is impossible to use this method to take down an individual phone over the air, the network will basically freeze up if to many requests, it wont actually affect the individual phone. Just as happens on new Years eve at midnight, as you will all see (AGAIN) in a couple of days.

The system becomes bogged down, and the servers become overloaded and then it becomes difficult if not impossible to make or receive calls, send SMS etc, your phone is not affected but the network is. The main network servers, store as many of the unsent SMS messages as possible, queuing them, then sending them on as bandwidth becomes available. If the system gets totally overloaded then the system refuses or deletes the latest incoming messages

And this "theoretical" method is all well and good to take down an individual phone, but all they need to do is swap sim and problem solved. Complete waste of time and money

Status
Not open for further replies.