So I am finally going to get a new gaming laptop!

MadMetalGuy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
So ive had this MSI GX60 for about a year and a half now and i feel its time to upgrade

Current Specs:
AMD A10-4600M
8GBs DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 7970M 2GB
240GB KIngston HyperX 3K SSD
1TB 5400RPM HDD

My budget: $2000

The Specs i want:
Intel Core i7 4710MQ or equivalent HQ
16GBs DDR3 RAM
GTX 970M 3GB
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
1080p Display

I really like the 15" form factor and specifically the design of the GX60 and wouldnt want a 17" laptop

i was looking at the GT60 as it has the same chassis as the GX60 but the GS60 Pro caught my eye and now im debating if a really slim laptop is worth it compared to a bigger variation of it

My primary use with this laptop will be Gaming but i will be lite video editing and streaming (Something my GX60 cant handle very well)

I will be configuring the laptop on XOTIC PC and if i can i will be migrating my own SSD and HDD from my current laptop to the new one (if possible due to storage form factors)

i will be taking this laptop to places and i have no problem with the overall size of the GX60 so no issue there

Soooo which one do you guys think will be better?

Solution
If you're not gonna be on battery life or you're not moving to too much, for the love of god, dont get the GS60. That slimness comes at a price while gaming and that price is LOUD LOUD LOUD FANS. Oh and it gets hotter than the sun. The model I once tried out was the GS60 Ghost which only had the GT 860M and the i7-4700MQ. Just running FFXIV for a little while caused it to heat up to unbearable levels and the fan was amazingly noisy.

The GT60 is a bit slimmer than the GX60 but overall the GX60 should have the best cooling.

If you're ok with the size of the GX60 then for sure go with that. (Boats need anchors)

Warukyure

Estimable
If you're not gonna be on battery life or you're not moving to too much, for the love of god, dont get the GS60. That slimness comes at a price while gaming and that price is LOUD LOUD LOUD FANS. Oh and it gets hotter than the sun. The model I once tried out was the GS60 Ghost which only had the GT 860M and the i7-4700MQ. Just running FFXIV for a little while caused it to heat up to unbearable levels and the fan was amazingly noisy.

The GT60 is a bit slimmer than the GX60 but overall the GX60 should have the best cooling.

If you're ok with the size of the GX60 then for sure go with that. (Boats need anchors)

Solution

MadMetalGuy

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

i mean i dont mind lugging the GX60 to friends houses and school every week and if the GT60 is slimmer than i would have even less of an issue

and yeah that was something i was thinking about (cooling/noise)

Oh and with the GT60 i can move my SSD/HDD over to it no problem and that will save me some money because i dont have to order the laptop with any fancy SSD/HDD

and i mainly play Borderlands 1/2/TPS so the GTX 970M is just fine for that game

i just cant wait to get off this horrid GX60 i mean its not all bad but that CPU bottlenecks the HELL out of the 7970M

But anyway thanks!

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
First thing to consider - take what you can from your current laptop. This gives you 2 options:
a) sell the laptop as-is - this will give you more cash towards a new laptop
b) take out hardware to use in your new PC - definitely the SSD and HDD as you mentioned. Some other items to consider - ODD - you can pick up a mobile ODD to USB drive bay converter for like $10, which will give you a DVD drive you can use. Also, RAM:
I don't know your current RAM configuration or the configuration of the RAM of your new laptop is, but you might be able to move some RAM around to give you some extra (for example, if you have 1x8GB of RAM, and your laptop comes with 8 or 12GB, then you can up it to 12GB or 16GB)

New laptop:
For starters, you need to consider mobility - basically there are two kinds of gaming notebooks out there: 1) the first kind are very large, like your current laptop, and make no attempt at portability. These do have beefy heatsinks and coolers for their large hardware, however. 2) the second kind are much thinner. These tend to have less specs compared to their beefier counterparts. However, these are much lighter but usually sacrifice cooling performance - this can lead to higher overall temperatures or performance throttling.
If your looking for a beefier laptop, similar to your current one, the GT60 is probably what your looking for.
If you want portability, MSI's GS60 and Gigabyte's P35's are worth a look.

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there may i recommend this laptop i just bought?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

thats the new 2015 ge62 apache its has the new 9 series graphics card it has support for up to 3 m.2 SSd drives at raid0 plus the 1tb it comes with it has 2 exaust vents and a cooler for the cpu and cooler for the gpu it seems to be pretty slim not as slim as a GS model but the slimmer the worse heat dissapation you have the GT series laptops are the best that MSI offers the GE series is a step below and the GP series is the budget now the GX was the AMD series of MSI laptops and since AMD hasnt released any new mobile graphics cards MSI hasnt put out any new laptops with AMD inside, now the GE62 apache i ordered has yet to be delivered i bought it off newegg and on monday i guess it was stuck in TN due to weather :( as soon as i do get it i plan on doing an unboxing on my youtube channel and a quick overview but anyways whatever decision you make you can not go wrong good luck with your choice

Warukyure

Estimable
Don't step down to the GTX 965M that the GE62 has. Even if you aren't playing demanding games right now, theres the possibility that you might want to down the road. Going for a weaker card now might save you some money, but in the long run you're going to be upgrading sooner.

Personally, I think 16 GB is too much RAM, and 8 GB for the most part should meet everything you want to do. Heck as I'm writing this, I have an MMO open and a few other things, not to mention overbloated Chrome (well nowadays) and I'm barely hitting 4.5 GB RAM used out of my 16.

Oh and lastly make sure your model doesnt say "SUPER RAID" as that model is specifically fit with 2 mSATA 64 GB SSDs instead of the Single 2.5" SSD that you're using in your current (if you REALLY want to move your kingston drive over) otherwise, if you're gonna start fresh then it doesnt matter.