Question Is it 'safe' to place a laptop computer on top of a stereo speaker?

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys;
I just ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 11 laptop, and thinking of where I will keep the computer when I'm not using it.
Since I will be using it while sitting in bed (more comfy than sitting at my pc for writing and general web surfing), I thought I could place it on my 'nightstand'. But my nightstands happen to be a pair of Cerwin Vega HED speakers, so I'm concerned about the magnet in the woofer (and a smaller one in the tweeter, which will be much closer to the computer).
The computer does not have a HDD; only a 1TB SSD, but I have been reading reports that it's probably not such a great idea to place any computer on or near a large speaker.

Perhaps I could lay a sheet of ferrous material on top of the speaker, and place the computer on top of it. The ferrous should block any magnetic flux from the speaker, right?
I am only concerned about the permanent magnet in the speaker; not the magnetic flux generated by the voice coil, as I do not play the speakers very loud.

If not the speaker, I guess I could rearrange things, but I have been placing my phone on top of the speaker for years, and haven't had any issues with it.

Your thoughts?
Ultrarunner

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I installed a magnetometer app on my phone, and yes, there is an increase in magnetic flux on top of the speaker, but it's much higher in front, as I would expect.
I have my Echo Show 8 on top of the speaker for 6 months now, and no issues, but then, that's a much smaller screen, and is nearly perpendicular to the top of the speaker, whereas the laptop would be lying flat on top of the speaker cabinet.
I'm thinking to buy a sheet of ferrous steel, which I will place on top of the speaker, then place the laptop on it.
That, or do some rearranging.