So with new DRMs requiring the latest hardware...

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
... does that mean in the future we will have to keep buying the newest hardware to do simple things like watching or streaming a video? I'm talking specifically about HDCP 2.2 here. Has the industry made any promises how often this is going to happen? Because I can tell you, if I buy some high end hardware just so that in the near future its abilities are limited because it doesn't support HDCP 2.3 or whatever the the newest DRM BS will be, I will gladly and proudly become a full time pirate!

Solution
I think right it's going under the radar. Wait till more people start buying movies, and get nothing displayed on their TVs and then it will start being a big deal when everyday people who aren't tech savy find out the movie industry has just forced them to buy all new hardware for their entire house so they can't copy moves, when they weren't copying movies to begin with, I think it will be an issue.

Then more people will find things like, oh there are HDMI splitters out there that will strip HDCP signals? Then I can play whatever I want. Yeah order me one of those.

Once there is backlash it will be an issue, it's just by then will it be too late?

The tides are already turning. As I was out and about this Christmas, I was...

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
DRM typically punishes legitimate users, and does not stop pirates. Try convincing big companies of that though. I remember when Doom 3 came out, I bought the game. Then because of my CD-burner and the included copy protection I could not play it. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with their tech support figuring this out. In the end I had to go download a No-CD crack to play a game I legally purchased, to defeat their copy protection. All because of their DRM did not like my specific CD-burner.

I try and find games on GOG these days first, which sells only DRM free games. Sucks for gamers these days because when they get nostalgic to play their old games, they won't be able to. They don't own anything anymore, they are renting things from manufacturers.

I'm not sure promoting pirating is the answer, but people do need to start voting with their wallets, STOP buying this DRM filled crap. If it needs an always on connection for no reason, skip it. If everyone skipped a Triple A game title or movie over this crap, they would take the hint.

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Oh I know all about the pains of dealing with DRM in games. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is any indication of how often they will update their DRM for videos. HDCP 2.2 requires you to get the latest hardware. HDCP was introduced for 4K. Will it last the entire life span of 4K? Or will you have to upgrade your hardware again in 3 years to be ready for HDCP 2.3 or sth like that? Because if the latter is the case, then I really see no point in going legit.

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
I think right it's going under the radar. Wait till more people start buying movies, and get nothing displayed on their TVs and then it will start being a big deal when everyday people who aren't tech savy find out the movie industry has just forced them to buy all new hardware for their entire house so they can't copy moves, when they weren't copying movies to begin with, I think it will be an issue.

Then more people will find things like, oh there are HDMI splitters out there that will strip HDCP signals? Then I can play whatever I want. Yeah order me one of those.

Once there is backlash it will be an issue, it's just by then will it be too late?

The tides are already turning. As I was out and about this Christmas, I was surprised how many people were talking about unlocked firesticks etc, that were "old" people. These large media companies need to get their act together, and realize people don't mind paying for things, but treating everyone like pirates, and gouging us isn't going to work.

Solution