Soccer Fans: 3D TV is "Better Than Being There"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i have the answer guess what the U.S.A. football is a foot long (at my school we use 11.5 inch but what ever)=) I guess the number of highschool football player on this site is low. lol why wouldnt it.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]botabota[/nom]Second that! side note: Wonder who the hell name a sport FOOTBALL when you play with your hand[/citation]

Ask any American football player and they will tell you that 80% of the game is played with their feet.

So I guess they should have called it foot-hands-helmetball? You try coming up with a name that fits the sport and let me know what it is. It's always the same ignorant europeans that make remarks about the name when they know nothing of the sport or how it's played. sigh...

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Ask any American football player and they will tell you that 80% of the game is played with their feet.[/citation]

Uh? As in "they use their feet to run"? :D Just kidding ... (Go Colts!, btw)
What is relevant here is the part of the body or instrument that is used to control the ball. Hence we have handball, where the ball is carried and thrown with, you guessed it, your hands; football (soccer), where the ball is carried and kicked with your feet; racquetball, where the ball is hit with a racquet; and so on.
I agree that basketball and volleyball don't quite fit the schema, but they both succeed in conveying what each sport is about through their names.
But American football doesn't. Feet are seldom used in that sport (except for punts, FG attemps, etc.) while hands are used to carry and throw the ball. Going back in time, and considering that the forward pass wasn't allowed in the early days of American football, a more appropriate name for the sport would have been "rushball", wouldn't it?

G

"That one is easy. America has the best baseball, basketball, and American football players, so when we play those sports, it is the best in the world playing."

it has the only baseball(yeah I know some countries tried to copy cat it, but let's be real that's not serious) and american football players in the world. not the best, but the only ones. Still basically it could be correct calling it the world series considering this, but I do belive it has something to do with: americans(us citezens) viewing the U.S. as the only world.

baskteball is a little difrent because is popular in a lot of places and nba has best players in the world, but without being a basketball watcher I do wonder what would happen in real matches between nba teams and good european ones. because US isn't as clear of a winner at the olympics or world cup and the teams that win don't have all theire players in nba.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]city_zen[/nom]Uh? As in "they use their feet to run"? Just kidding ... (Go Colts!, btw)What is relevant here is the part of the body or instrument that is used to control the ball. Hence we have handball, where the ball is carried and thrown with, you guessed it, your hands; football (soccer), where the ball is carried and kicked with your feet; racquetball, where the ball is hit with a racquet; and so on.I agree that basketball and volleyball don't quite fit the schema, but they both succeed in conveying what each sport is about through their names.But American football doesn't. Feet are seldom used in that sport (except for punts, FG attemps, etc.) while hands are used to carry and throw the ball. Going back in time, and considering that the forward pass wasn't allowed in the early days of American football, a more appropriate name for the sport would have been "rushball", wouldn't it?[/citation]

So your argument is that the nomenclature MUST fit a certain criteria. But like you said, what about basketball, volleyball, baseball, paintball, softball??? None of them come close to conveying what the sport is about, just how football doesn't come close to conveying what it's about. They may all include a very small part of the sport, but lets be honest here, if i told you I was going to play football (assuming you had never heard of it), would you know that i was planning on dribbling a little ball down a field and then kicking it through a rectangular goal? probably not.

The argument here is useless. There is not a single person out there that could come up with a name that would accurately convey the complexity of the sport "American football". So why not just call it football, because like i said 80% of the game is played with the feet. Your assumption is that the actual scoring takes place with the hands. But what about the other 20 players that NEVER touch the ball with their hands on a single play? They use their feet. It's the same reason why 350 lb lineman take ballroom dancing lessons. They improve their footwork because it's such an integral part of their game.

Like I said before, if you haven't played the game then you have no position on commenting on the legitimacy of the name.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I'd watch it in 3-D, but 3-D TV's are lopster.

...For what it's worth, it sounds slightly better if you say it aloud.

I'd be willing to try it, but I think it will have a slow adapation rate. Imagine going to say Buffalo Wild Wings and watching the games in 3-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.