Software engineer in need of a $700-$1100 laptop

zwooma

Estimable
May 20, 2015
1. What is your budget?
80-120k RSD ($700-$1100)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferably >= 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p would be nice, but not necessary.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I don't have a desktop PC, but I'll also need to carry it around. However, weight isn't much important.

5. How much battery life do you need?
N/A

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
N/A

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm a software engineer, so I need various IDEs to run smoothly.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Don't need too much, 500GB is sufficient.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Gigatron
WinWin
Emmi
Dr Techno
PIN Computers
Or anything else available in Serbia.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc?
N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
N/A

13. What country do you live in?
Serbia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need a good processor (i5 or i7), a ~250GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Built-in SSD is optional, but only if I can add one myself. In that case, the price range is lowered by the price of an SSD.

Solution
No clue as to Serbian prices.
Look for a Lenovo thinkpad.
They will have the best keyboards in the business.
On the screen, look for a IPS screen. The image is so much better.
Look for minimal ram and a small hard drive. It is usually cheaper to add ram and replace the hard drive with your own ssd.

I see no reason not to go with a 6th gen skylake processor.
It is probably not worthy it to pay more for higher clocks or i7 vs. i5.

If you have a link to a shopping web site(in English) I will look at the offerings.

geofelt

Distinguished
No clue as to Serbian prices.
Look for a Lenovo thinkpad.
They will have the best keyboards in the business.
On the screen, look for a IPS screen. The image is so much better.
Look for minimal ram and a small hard drive. It is usually cheaper to add ram and replace the hard drive with your own ssd.

I see no reason not to go with a 6th gen skylake processor.
It is probably not worthy it to pay more for higher clocks or i7 vs. i5.

If you have a link to a shopping web site(in English) I will look at the offerings.

Solution

xzahn

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
I'm looking for laptop for programming as well. I do want to be able to play games on it, though. If you're not going to do web design stuff, work in Photoshop where you'll need decent screen, you have quite a few options.

You can check the ThinkPad series of Lenovo like the user before me suggested. You can also look at these options:
Dell Latitude 5000 series. They have different options. You can look for E5550 or the older E5450. In my country you get them with 3 years warranty. Some even come with 5 years warranty.
HP ProBook 450 G3 - They're cheap and good all around laptops.
Acer VN7 - Has more performance and a decent screen.

zwooma

Estimable
May 20, 2015
If I buy a laptop and SSD (say Samsung 850 EVO) separately, do I put the SSD instead of the HDD or the DVD drive? Because If I'd have to replace the HDD then I'd just buy a laptop with an SSD.

geofelt

Distinguished

Best to buy a laptop that already has a ssd. More of them are sold now.
Previously, the upgrade from a hard drive to a ssd was very expensive.
It was cheaper to by a ssd separately, clone the hard drive to it and replace the hard drive.