Software that allows two people to use one pc at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyvon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
So i'm not entirely sure this is even the right section of the forums but i was wondering if anyone out there had any idea as to how (if even possible) i could accomplish the following.
In the near future I will have my new gaming rig, and it will be more than powerful enough two versions of WoW or several other games.
Would it be possible, to hook up two separate mouses, two separate keyboards and use two monitors to have two separate WoW applications open? for me and my friend to both play wow? or maybe a WoW open in one screen and a Swtor open in the other?

Solution
A PC can, of course support multiple users (despite the "Personal"). But to do so it has to be running an Operating System that supports multiple concurrent users. And there's the rub; Windows only supports one user at a time. Install Linux, or any of the other Unix lookalikes, and you can support multiple concurrent users. With enough work you might even be able to support multiple users playing games, although performance of Windows games in such a setup is always going to be inferior.

But, let's face it, hardware is cheap. It's much easier just to use two computers networked together.

treyvon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Are you sure? i can't imagine this to be impossible, quite tricky of course but i can't help but think it's gotta be possible, even if it required two cpu's or whatever. Cause i mean, they have Multiboxing technology out there, i just don't know how extensive it gets.

G

There used to be a PCI card you could install for a second user but I haven't seen one of those in years. Post back when you find what you're looking for.

Ijack

Distinguished
A PC can, of course support multiple users (despite the "Personal"). But to do so it has to be running an Operating System that supports multiple concurrent users. And there's the rub; Windows only supports one user at a time. Install Linux, or any of the other Unix lookalikes, and you can support multiple concurrent users. With enough work you might even be able to support multiple users playing games, although performance of Windows games in such a setup is always going to be inferior.

But, let's face it, hardware is cheap. It's much easier just to use two computers networked together.

Solution

treyvon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
So this might be a little off topic but if linux can do it, then what if i installed a second operating system on a separate drive, what would be the results of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.