Software UI Replaces Blocky Interface in Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
But FUBAR with UEFI SecureBoot turned on as requirement for Win8 OEM certificate is still present. Yes, it can be easily bypassed by building your own system, but tell that to all those people who buy PC from OEMs.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Its so sad that finally MS was going to apply core scheduling fixes for AMDs FX and SB-E Intel chips. And this happens. They say W8 will have support for a newer version of DirectX. They say cores will be fixed. Great. All that to force us into this interface, resource consuming nightmare?

I'll move on to Linux if they get support better for gaming (which is almost the only thing lacking with them), thank you very much, MS.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]But FUBAR with UEFI SecureBoot turned on as requirement for Win8 OEM certificate is still present. Yes, it can be easily bypassed by building your own system, but tell that to all those people who buy PC from OEMs.[/citation]

I've seen a few motherboards with that feature implemented as well. MS may corrupt its way to hardware manufacturers to make it a standard. But yes, it is still bypassable, by the grace of the merciful geek gods.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Its so sad that finally MS was going to apply core scheduling fixes for AMDs FX and SB-E Intel chips. And this happens. They say W8 will have support for a newer version of DirectX. They say cores will be fixed. Great. All that to force us into this interface, resource consuming nightmare?I'll move on to Linux if they get support better for gaming (which is almost the only thing lacking with them), thank you very much, MS.[/citation]

Resource consuming nightmare? As if. Linux Ubuntu and Windows 7 pretty much used the same amount of memory on my machine and were equal to each other in terms of speed from the head to head comparisons I did.

Take the Lin-tardery somewhere else please. You aren't bulling anyone into anything here.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]I remember reading an article here on Tom's saying that Microsoft had removed all the code from W8 that would allow third parties to do this. So how did this happen?[/citation]
Good question - Start8 works fine in the RTM for me.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]A--PLUS[/nom]Wndows 8 is for skilled people. MASTERING TAKES PRACTICE[/citation]

They are making windows HARDER to use?

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Stefan Grigo[/nom]1st of all , I cant believe someone using Vista is calling people noobs . .[/citation]

Cheap work laptop, wouldn't handle XP properly because of the drivers. Windows 7 didn't exist yet and by the time it came out it wasn't worth it. I already learned to support and program for 95, 98, xp, vista, Windows 7, windows server versions, 3 versions of linux and some android devices.
I am in no hurry to be Microsoft's "release candidate" tester.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't know..... 48% increases in some benchmarks on my 4 year old machine after installing Windows 8 on a machine where Windows 7 was the order of the day?

So basically Windows 7 was slowing your machine by nearly 50% from it's potential? How nice of Microsoft to finally fix that... at very reasonable rates.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Steve knew what he wanted when working on the iOS, but I can't help but feel that MS just haven't any clue on UI so they shuffled things around and called it a new UI. To me, it looks chunky and primitive. Also, I am the sort of person who prefers not to touch the screens of my notebooks or desktops. Not everything is using tablets. I have been using MS since the DOS and gone through most of their Windows (and I do think iOS has superior UI but I am not an Apple user for practical reasons), but the new Metro UI has me worried.

G

I don't like the new interface (GUI) and microsoft charges way too much for their OS and having to pay extra for the AERO GUI really SUCKS.. I will stay with win7 unless microsoft figures out I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE that thinks this..

G

Still waiting for the check box In the appearance menu that will completely disable metro and give me classic view.....What do you think? Service pack 1 maybe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS