Solar Lamps to Replace Kerosene Counterparts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthPig2004

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I don't see how this can succeed. Kerosene is widely used as a cooking fuel also, so it's not going to be replaced by this as a power source. These 1.6 billion people who don't have access to electricity, probably also don't have access to recycling facilities...so these batteries are going to end up in a dump after 3 years, leaching heavy metals into the water supply? Or is Nokero going to ship them to recycling facilities for free? Using what kind of transportation fuel, and over what distance (Hong Kong and Sudan are pretty far apart)? What is the embodied energy of this product? Too bad that information is missing from their website. They do have some interesting information there though: fuel lanterns emit 190 million tons of carbon dioxide per year...not very much in the grand scheme of things.

weirdguy99

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I've had these lighting up the footsteps to my house for about 4 years now. They also turn on automatically when its dark and stick into the grass around the path..old news.

fishyfish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Wow, that's exactly like garden lamps I bought in B&Q about 10 years ago for £12.99 each. Amazing breakthrough and triumph of modern technology!

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
People, I'm sick already of reading "my ****ing garden lamps". You are NOT the target market if you consider these a novelty item. They are for those who absolutely NEED one.

I can imagine those people would appreciate them more.

I also have solar lamps in my garden, but, honestly, it's novelty.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Whenever I see solar lighting I remember something my old uncle said to me: "Why have lights powered by the sun!? If the sun's already out, it should be bright enough for anyone!!" ...ah the old fool.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
In other words: This is for the Amish. Oh, and people who wish to live like the Amish for a weekend. We call them campers here.

Its true, breathing kerosene fumes is harmful to your health. That goes for just about any petroleum based burn off.

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
"The company will sell its product as an alternative for communities of 1.6 billion people with no access to electricity."

Where are such communities hiding out?

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
"The market: disadvantaged people who currently rely on kerosene lamps."

Those people probably can't afford this lamp, and to replace the battery once they go out. They rely on kerosene for a reason.

crusak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
it only runs for two hours, according to their website. how useful is that? not very. it needs to last at least 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.