Solwise UMD-606N is World's Smallest WiFi Dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I know that tech is always going to get smaller with time. But, don't most devices and computers come with wifi now? Even if you had a desktop without wifi, having a small adapter like that won't work that well IMO. I guess if someones wifi card went out in their notebook/netbook it could serve as a replacement.

Cheers ether way!

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I could see someone thinking they broke off a usb jack from one of their devices. There's a point where smaller is not better!

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Why is this a downside for Mac users? This device is presumably for laptops, since the physical size doesn't matter much when you're dealing with a desktop. Mac was an early adopter of Wifi in their laptops, with it being built-in as standard while most Windows laptops required a PCMCIA card. Finding an Apple laptop that isn't already equipped is really going back a LOT of years, so it makes sense that this device is only for Windows. Now hopefully it supports the *older* windows operating systems like Windows 2000 and Windows 1998, since those are the likely OS's on such old hardware.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Inside that tiny enclosure is a full-blown 802.11N WiFi antenna, giving you a throughput of 100Mbps.
Unless I'm mistaken, 100Mbps isn't a 802.11N transmission rate; should be either 150 or 300, I believe.

G

Great product for small laptops, unfortunately I can't buy one in Australia.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
even on modern computers this is usefull. For example Hps dv 6000 have defective M/Bs where the mini pci slot will die winthin 2 years. Whats in that slot you ask? Why your perfectly good mini wifi card thats all. So now you have a good internal wifi with a bad M/B slot with no way to fix it without paying HP aprox 420$ for a repair. So a 12$ micro adapter such as this should work perfect in your home without messing up the lines of the laptop and running the risk of it falling of your lap onton the couch and breaking the longer adapters. Also many many many people still have laptop without wifi. Due to the suposed resession people don't buy new laptops as often as they like so they come into my store every day for possible upgrades to get another year or two out of it. I sell about 3 usb wifi dongles every day mostly to the older genereation but there is still a very strong market for it.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]Unless I'm mistaken, 100Mbps isn't a 802.11N transmission rate; should be either 150 or 300, I believe.[/citation]

I'm glad you pointed that out. That's what caught my eye when reading the article.

Honestly, if I can't connect to my wireless N router at 300, I would gladly trade in a small Wireless N USB adapter in for a larger one that can connect at full speeds.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
This thing looks alright for working in a PAN like range like bluetooth, but without an adequate antennae it will not have the range of larger usb sticks, especially those with external antennae

I think the reduced overall transmission speed is due to this.

G

Reminds me of Logitech's Unifying Receiver which comes with all its latest wireless products.

Status
Not open for further replies.