Sony CEO: Sorry, No PS3 Price Cut

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
To keep sales going they wouldn't just announce a month before they are dropping the price. bk240 they were already selling the ps3 for a loss so dropping features like usb ports and card readers wouldn't drop the price. For $400 you could get two 360's sans wireless, hdd, bluray, and reliability.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Heres a hint morons.. *cough*pirate*cough*... Not to mention win 7 is free and legit and you get one hell of a trial. And lowest resolutions.. You people are freaking morons. That would easily play most games on medium which would still look better then consoles. So stfu and grow a brain already. And quit trying to be the cool kids. You're not get over it.

Now I got nothing against consoles. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I'm not gonna pay that much for a ps3 if the prices drop I MIGHT buy one if they don't.. I don't need one.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]dragonsmacker[/nom]If they do not do a price cut soon.... I have no reason to buy it. It is overpriced, especially in today's market. I'll hold out until the end of August or so, then I'll get an Xbox 360.[/citation]
You'll end up paying more with a 360. PS3 is a better value. Just warning you. I have both. PS3 actually ends up being cheaper in the end unless you don't plan on doing any online gaming. It comes with wi-fi while you need to pay for an $80 adapter for 360. Online gaming is free while you you have to pay online fees for 360. Plus you get a bigger hard drive and blu-ray support with PS3 and standard HDMI support.

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I'd have to agree that if you want a decent gaming pc, $400 might be a little low. Push it up to $500-$550, and you will get a pc every bit as nice as the PS3 can ever be. Not saying I wouldn't like a PS3(i'd rather play my sports games on console and have always felt that way), but I play FPS games most often and I'm sorry, but playing COD or Battlefield on any console with a controller does not even come come close to playing with a mouse and keyboard on PC. Now there are some advantages playing FPS on a console VS PC such as no hackers and everyone has the same hardware, but the big disadvantage for a console is the lack of upgradability that you get with a pc. To get to the point though...The PS3 is priced more then fair in my opinion for what you get in a compact package, but there is no way it as flexible as a pc.

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]thegh0st[/nom]and you're going to play what games?[/citation]
with that build there isnt a game out there that wont be playable at med-high settings other then possbly Crysis or GTA 4

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Console versus computer argument is completely retarded. They all have different games and system requirements and each has its advantages and disadvantages. You can't compare the two. They're completely different.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it all depends on your point of view (duh).
for me, the ps3 is reasonably priced, The wii is too expensive.
the Xbox is extremely good value, but I already have a gaming PC, so whats the point, the ps3 exclusives don't come to PC, whereas the xbox ones do.

but i think there is one thing we can agree on: (tho i know you won't)
the ps3 is reasonably priced IF you are interested in ALL of its functionality, if your only interested in gaming, and/or don't need wifi and/or don't need its BD movie playback ect then it its NOT good value, go with an xbox. but for the love of god, don't buy a wii, they are massively overpriced, and how come no one ever complains about it NOT DROPPING A CENT SINCE LAUNCH!

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The PS3 is a good piece of hardware. That being said, I bought mine used on ebay, and got an extra rebate through Microsoft's "Live!" cashback feature (I think that's gone now).
Still, I have NO games for it. I downloaded MK2 for it, and that's it.
However, I use it all the time for Blu-Ray, and it's GREAT to stream material to over a network.
There are great games for it, I just have too many to get through on my 360 first (which I've had much longer).
It's expensive, yes. Worth it to the people who will use all its capabilities? For sure.
We can't say if Sony is being stingy, because we still don't know exactly how much of a loss they're taking on the hardware (just speculations). I'm sure they'd like to sell more units & know that dropping the price would do that...there's obviously a reason. And no, they're not dumb...going by numbers (like companies do) can be misleading sometimes though, but you can't blame them for it.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I got a PS3, maybe that's why I want my games to be cheaper than the X360 counterparts and my hd movies cheaper, but name me one PS3 exclusive for the hardcore gamer with multiplayer not named "Killzone 2."

That's why PS3 is more expensive! It's a frigging useless paper weight! Everyone knows the PS3 graphics is worse than X360 graphics in most games if not all games so far. People are more willing to buy the X360 version. As for movies, most people cannot tell the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p, and blu-rays are $10-$15 more expensive. No good games that you can play with your friends and movies too costly are what is killing the PS3.

The problem with PS3 is not hardware, it's the graphic library and prices on blu-ray movies.

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Alright, even if you end up spending more than 400 on a pc there are more reasons that what you guys are saying to get one. For one, consoles do games and ONLY games. Can the nifty PS3 run CAD or Photoshop or even word? No. Can it encode videos, transfer music to an ipod or iphone or zune? Nope. It can do games and entertainment and thats it. So even if i end up spending a little more money for a PC, for me it is justified because I can use it for school and work. I can also hook up that same pc to a TV and have a media center that does all these things and does them well. An those of you that say that PC have all the problems with installing, i seem to remember having to install games on the PS3 hard drive, at least for faster loading,and console games get patched just as much as pc games. Now noting that most console games get to the PC, even if a little late, and that because of that naughty installation (which if you patch, you'll never have to put a dvd in for again, just click and go.) you can still usually run them smoother and at a higher resolution that on consoles, especially since alot of 360 and ps3 games dont even run at 1920.
Now im tired of writing though i could go on, so bye

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hikayu[/nom]@tenor77 : wow 1 impressive list you got there . what is that ? your grandma's pc . 4850 on 1080P screen , i wouldnt try that . no decent cpu fan = no overclock . dvd drive is nowhere near bluray and that case looks like it traps heat instead and looks nowhere as good as a ps3 . just because you're on a pc site doesnt mean you have to bash everthing else . take you list and your ignorant head somewhere else and admit that for the price of 400$ , a ps3 is the best you can get . period . 360 only worth as far as 300$ and still considered overpriced . a 60GB HDD for 100$ ? 512MB memory card for 50$ ? a wireless G receiver for 100$ ? good lord ![/citation]

Uhhh... yea. The graphics chip in a PS3 is way more powerful than the ati 4850. Are you smoking crack? The 4850 is way more powerful that the PS3 graphics. The graphics chip in the PS3 is made by Nvidia and is similar to the 7900 gt, and just as powerful. Oh, and a 1080p tv does not have that high of a resolution, 1920×1080. Yea, my monitor is higher resolution than that. So what was your point about using a 4850 to play games on a 1080p TV?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]$400, I can get a decent computer that can do so much more than a console.[/citation]
Maybe you can't get a decent computer for $400, but that will an awesome video card upgrade that will easily outperform any console graphics.

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Next person who says a PS3 is too exspensive so I am getting an XBOX gets a beating for being too stupid to be allowed to breed. The XBOX 360 is far more costly to own.
I paid 599 for my PS3 and my XBOX cost twice that to get home.

AGAIN LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN!!! THE XBOX360 IS FAR MORE EXSPENSIVE THAN A PS3. SIMPLE MATH PEOPLE!!!!!

360 rechargable battery EXTRA
PS3 rechargable battery included
360 plug and play cable EXTRA
PS3 standard USB cable included
360 Wifi Extra
PS3 Wifi included
360 Online gaming EXTRA monthly fee
PS3 Online gaming included
360 needs special HDMI cable (my XBOX does not have HDMI early pro
PS3 Standard cable
360 expanding that patheticly small 20 gig hard drive cost me 179
ps3 came with 80gig large enough and can be expanded to any size 2.5" sata hard drive without voiding warranty
I also got the XBOX HD drive cost me 199
all and all the xbox was far more exspensive to own

The 199 xbox is nearly useless except as a spare Xbox which is what most 360 owners do. Becuase YOU NEED A HARD drive for an 360 to be usefull unless you are a total idiot and spend money on the small exspensive memory card.

poradicus

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I personally like the PS3, only thing I hate about it is the limited game selection but luckily I can play PS3, PS2, PS1 on my backwards compatible PS3 which I luckily got my PS3 60 Gig, last one from Best Buy. In a way PS3 is almost like a computer because when my blueray player died, instead of sending it to dumb Sony for RMA, I repaired it myself and now it works better than it did before. Although I love my PS3 I don't see how you can compare consoles yet to PC'S because Consoles are bottlenecked to their current hardware installed inside them while PC's can be upgraded and expanded overtime. So the PC is superior than all consoles. Lets just hope consoles stay like consoles and not become like computer because than we might as well call it a pc and not a console.

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
By the way guys, I thought this was worth noting:
I know a lot of you are likely a bit younger than I am (I'm 29), but there doesn't have to be a HUGE game library for there to be enough enjoyable games.
Like I said, I have a 360 and a PS3...the PS3 being much more recent. The reason I don't have any games for the PS3 isn't because there aren't any good ones, but because I STILL HAVE ALL OF THEM FOR THE 360. For me, I'd rather finish a game before getting a new one. Honestly, I'd be happy with a PS2...look how many stellar games there are for that; some of the games I'm enjoying now (more than 260 or ps3) are last-gen games. Graphics aren't everything...not at all!

captaincharisma

Distinguished
I agree with the WII being overpriced but the issue there is everyone is still buying is still buying it and nintendo is not losing a dime per console plus if it does slow down they could still live off the money they made with it for another 2 to 3 years and by then they will have announced a new console anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS