Sony Considering Charging for PSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

au071

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I probably won't pay for it. I thought that was one of their big selling point v.s. Xbox 360...

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
If PSN starts to cost money, they NEED to revamp it/remake it

Currently PSN vs. Xbox Live if they ran at the same price = Xbox Live would win hands down

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I would consider it if everything you current can do on PSN is free but if you bought a subscription you get access to betas, earlier demo releases etc.. But If we lose what is currently free and goes to fee then my Ps3 is going out the window and I am sticking to my PC

shadowkazama

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
A friend of mine at Sega (very low on the totem pole though) has heard that it may be priced at something like $50 for 1 year, and you get access to all the PS One games (and others like this) for the duration of your subscription. T

hey will also be keeping the current free PSN as well too (as is).

We'll see if this happens or not.

G

HD streaming live tv ala netflix. I want this to replace my DVR and cable. saving 100 a month on cable tv. ill gladly pay for PSN in that case.

G

I'm not going to pay for both Live and PSN, so that would make me choose, and I'd probably choose Live.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I would be ok with $5 (Canadian) a month, however $5 U.S is WAAAAAY! too much!!!

Ok, On a serious note, I would (very very unwillingly) pay $10 a month tops, if it went for $15 or even $12 I would never buy a online ps3 game ever again, and would pawn off the current multiplayer games I have. Every corporation seems to want make a good product, sell it to us, and find a way to make us pay for it for it for life.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]au071[/nom]I probably won't pay for it. I thought that was one of their big selling point v.s. Xbox 360...[/citation]
100% true.

I don't have any 360 games because I don't want to have to pay $15 a month or more to maybe or maybe not play online. I only play online once or twice a week, if that... but i still want to be able to if I want to.

MEGIDDO

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I totally agree with au071. I knew I wanted a ps3 over any other platform for many reasons. Free PSN was one of those reasons. Your asking what would I expect extra for a paid subscription? What is there to offer? Seriously, what could they do that would be a "bonus"? Is there something we could have now that would improve our experience, but dont get it because PSN is free?

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
The greed and lust for money trumps all these days in this oligarchical world. Sony can take their fees and shove it ware the son doesn't shine.

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I would not pay for it at all, they already charge for additional content patches ect. that should otherwise be free imho. One of the crowning glories of the ps3 was it allowed everyone to connect and do 'anything' .. at what cost tho. I think that the bandwidth that is used by the network is negligable considering the revenue they take in from the already customers already voluntarily downloading extra content ect. Another subscription service we don't need. Playing final fantasy online mmo. You need your monthly isp bill, monthly subscription to the game, and now a monthly subscription to the ps3 network? come on sony, I think you can think of better ways to make a buck. Personally I jumped off the ps3 bandwagon awhile back after the rockband craze wore off and headed to pc ville. It was originally marketed as a console with a free network, afterward when stunts like this by sony pulled; just add to the reasons to make me not look back. Adding a subscription service to this isn't marketing to a demographic that doesn't exsist. If they want to add a premium service and charge for it, go nuts. But if your one of the parents or casual gamers that only use it for a Blueray player and the occasional game. I'd have to say, I'll pass.

vulmer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Keep PSN as it is now but add in a sub system with 'benefits' and I will be happy. If they are charging for online service, they aren't getting a dime from me.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]itadakimasu[/nom]100% true.I don't have any 360 games because I don't want to have to pay $15 a month or more to maybe or maybe not play online. I only play online once or twice a week, if that... but i still want to be able to if I want to.[/citation]

Been a while since you have seen XBOX Live subscriptions prices has it? Monthly it is $7.99 US, and $50 per year if you pay it up front. That is chump change for the amount of stuff that is provided via the XBL Gold package.

Sony is going to charge you for PSN. End of story. They are going to charge you very close to the same amount as you would pay for XBL, and they are going to take some of your current free stuff away, unless you do pay for it.

I play online on my 360, less than once per month, but the Gold membership pays for itself, with just the ability to stream my netflix.

Today's Corp's will do just that, give you the best deal in town, and then back end you for everything they can. Welcome to the real world.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Why don't they raise revenue by product placement and advertisements? I'm sure players wouldn't mind having ad's during loading screens and sponsorship on their avatars if PSN remained free.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I would expect alot of people exiting the PS3 market................[/citation]

You're assuming there's alot of people in the PS3 market in the first place :D

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Nooooooo how can this beeee??? Whyyyyyy? I mean how come do I need to pay if I just want to download a demo? Maybe they can leave a free connection for stuff like that, and charge for playing full games online.

Status
Not open for further replies.