Sony Details Xperia Phones Receiving Android 4.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Seriously? Xperia U is six months old. It's this kind of thing that makes me think Apple fans have the right idea. Damnit I'll stick with Android, but screw Sony in future.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Given the alternatives I'm not sure why anyone would pay for an Xperia phone. Do they offer something that is superior to Samsung's or even HTC's handsets?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yes.. a quality handset. They are good phones. Their design looks sharp, using metal rather than cheap plastic (Samsung). Not everyone WANTS a Samsung or HTC phone.

For the most part, almost ALL upper end phones have the same stats. 4.3~5" screens, resolutions, camera feature sets, etc.

I *CHOOSE* my Motorola Atrix phone over SGS3, HTC One X and SONY because of how it felt and looked. My last Galaxy (S1) I never cared for it... and I hate SGS3's cheap glossy plastic feel. I don't use phone bodies. I almost went with the One X, it feels good... the power button on TOP changed my mind. The Sony looks great... but the metal body felt bulky and the rubber covers over the USB port means constant fighting to open it or simply rip-it off.

When the Atrix was announced, it the was the only non-Nexus 4.x phone with a proper screen (main menu buttons are on the screen) - which I loved on my friends Samsung Nexus. I got used to it really quick. HTC, SONY and Samsung don't use proper 4.x on their phones usually.

PS: Just upgraded to 4.1 on my Atrix a few minutes ago. Its easily smoother with lots of improvements everywhere... only 1 so-so issue (very white contact list). The included circles widget is sweet - I like it alot, I use daily. The auto-car-dock function is something I also use.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Given the alternatives I'm not sure why anyone would pay for an Xperia phone. Do they offer something that is superior to Samsung's or even HTC's handsets?[/citation]

A proper camera

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]PS: Just upgraded to 4.1 on my Atrix a few minutes ago. Its easily smoother with lots of improvements everywhere... only 1 so-so issue (very white contact list). The included circles widget is sweet - I like it alot, I use daily. The auto-car-dock function is something I also use.[/citation]
Has battery life improved from ICS update to Atrix?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I just did the upgrade... I found the battery life on the Atrix to be acceptable. Its been tested out as being not quite as good as the SGS3 (Atrix battery is smaller).

Even the last update from many months ago improved stability, camera performance (they took out the time lapse function thou) and battery life a tad. I use Motorola's management to control power usage. First few days were horrible... :)

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Given the alternatives I'm not sure why anyone would pay for an Xperia phone. Do they offer something that is superior to Samsung's or even HTC's handsets?[/citation]

My Xperia U was £150 off contract (~$200). For that, I got dual 1GHz Cortex-A9, ARM Mali 400 GPU and a 280dpi screen. Pretty sweet deal all in all. No other manufacturer offers so much at that price point. Not happy about the lack of future updates though, it only came out six months ago.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
[citation][nom]sam_p_lay[/nom]My Xperia U was £150 off contract (~$200). For that, I got dual 1GHz Cortex-A9, ARM Mali 400 GPU and a 280dpi screen. Pretty sweet deal all in all. No other manufacturer offers so much at that price point. Not happy about the lack of future updates though, it only came out six months ago.[/citation]
The reason is simple: it's a well built yet cheap phone and they can't afford to future-proof it. If they did, it wouldn't become obsolete as fast as they want it to.

sam_p_lay

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]The reason is simple: it's a well built yet cheap phone and they can't afford to future-proof it. If they did, it wouldn't become obsolete as fast as they want it to.[/citation]

You have a really good point there actually. They didn't waste any time introducing alternative budget models (Miro, Tipo etc) with massively inferior specs. Guess I should be glad I grabbed the Xperia U when I did :)

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]A proper camera[/citation]
That would be one of the reason's I got my Sony Xperia ion. It has a 12mp camera plus a full 720p display 323ppi. Plus with my 2 year contract it only cost me $0.00 and since I was upgrading anyway it was the best option I could find. As it turns out it is a really great phone with a lot of quality features and a kick ass camera. And with the mini HDMI out I can connect it to my Panason 50" 3D Plasma and control the phone with my TV remote to play back video pictures or music with HDMI device Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.