Sony Develops Ultra-Thin Rollable OLED Display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]I do not think a HUD in your glasses is a good idea. The human eye does not focus that close without strain.[/citation]
Oh, what about VR systems. The military has had them for years and they work. They are just expensive. This technology could bring VR to the masses as you can have a raparound effect--a bent glasses screen.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Sony, you have talked about OLED for ages. Please release it already. We can use the stiff ones until you're done developing the flexibles!

Um... OLED has been out for awhile... im pretty sure u can find one at best buy for some insane retarded price still, like 8mo ago it was like 4k for a 13" or so...

Anyway, this would be awesome for many reasons" portability being the main. I personnally think some kinda auto re roll tube, like how a measuring tape works would be awesome, for maybe a map in my car, or other such things to take with you for convenience

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I am wondering what was that green/blue line on her face?... was/were that supposes to be there or some kind of faulty OLED/grid?

Thought people usually showcase the best they have.... is that the best they can get at this moment?...

If that is the case... I fully understand why it is still underdeveloped....

G

those displays used in avatar seems like a reality in coming years! very nice sony

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, billboards and all is true, it will really revolutionize the whole Ad world. But we are forgetting, people get irritated by bright spots , flickering things at night. So I guess this is going to have a massive opposition in residential places, since the displays are going to be giving out light...... but it's a great way for the entertainment industry......Now i think instead of paint, we might see the next gen, spraying oled paint on houses and walls, giving you a new look for your decor everyday.

gemmakaru

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]those displays used in avatar seems like a reality in coming years! very nice sony[/citation]

Yeah but those people had no trees and had to rape another planet for resources. :(

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Your phone is comprised of two pencil-sized objects. You just pull them apart, and you have a semi-transparent touch display, and you lock it into position (if you want) by two small supporting beams that fold out form the said pencil-sized objects.
Neat idea at least. :)

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
And for just 1200 dollars you too can have your very own 3 inch display.
I actually don't know the cost but i would suspect it ain;t gonna be cheap.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
If they could ever get these large enough to make a complete circle around you, it would be like you were in the movie.

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Can you guys say, "Earth Final Conflict". Someone did mention that the other day about another post. But they had those scroll video phones that were in a tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS