Sony Ericsson: Dual Core Doesn't Mean Faster

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Tom's do a article on the Xperia which I believe was right before the launch that gave gaming benchmark results that showed poor performance compared to the then new phones?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I say, 4 cores is enough for a computer, for most situations. With future lithography shrinks, shift the engineering back to single-threaded performance again! My next computer (laptop) buying decision will be based heavily on it's single-threaded performance, since I know it will be able to crunch SMP aware situations very quickly.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
This article is silly. They're downplaying dual core just because they don't have it yet. And, although dual core isn't necessarily faster than single core, it can't be slower either unless they have to clock the two cores lower to meet TDP or yield targets and you're only running a single thread that takes advantage of only one core. Plus, all things being equal, having that one extra core sure gives devs more hardware to play around with and potentially make better games/apps.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]This is Sony.It doesn't matter what tech they use, you are boycotting them.[/citation]
Nope, we buyers are just wanting an innovative products and not half ashed thingy where the manufacturer is trying to dupe you that its okey to buy a crappy products.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
they could just say that the current game is enough for the single core but to really mention that dual core is not faster is like belittling the buying people...

its like they are saying the buying people are stupid, they will believe averything we say for we are sony...

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Tegra and Exynos blow this thing out of the water gaming wise.
GPU Slower than 8 core Tegra 2 (90M triangles vs 45M)
CPU not as effecient and single core
Half the RAM (and slower DDR) 512MB DDR vs 1GB DDR2

Productivity and Gaming synthetic benchmarks show this device is way to slow for future games. Lets see Shadowgun run on the Xperia play.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I'd have to agree with Sony.. it's not about the cores... it's about hardware acceleration. On a mobile platform, if the OS is optimized to offload to hardware accelerated components, then you are better off sticking to a single core and preserving battery life. It's all about the end-user experience, not how much horsepower drives it. Windows Phone 7 is a good example of this. It's ultra-smooth, without any lag, and runs on a single core. It's completely unnecessary to introduce a second core, because all it would do is chew up battery life and the end-user experience wouldn't be improved at all.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
any knowledgeable about computers knows that multi-core does not mean faster. all multi core does is allow you to run more things at once. if this was the case dell and HP would have been selling computers in the 90's with 2 500mhz processors and advertising them as computers running at 1ghz speeds.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]any knowledgeable about computers knows that multi-core does not mean faster. all multi core does is allow you to run more things at once. if this was the case dell and HP would have been selling computers in the 90's with 2 500mhz processors and advertising them as computers running at 1ghz speeds.[/citation]

I don't know about Dell and HP, but I've seen LOTS of smaller PC companies doing just that. And lots of people believed it.

Multi-core does mean faster, in some areas (e.g. compressing videos, CAD, Flight Simulator). You need good software that can use multiple cores, of course.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The only advantage a dual core would have over a single core if the running piece of software isn't designed to run multiple threads is that the rest of the phone would feel snappier when running a "heavy" (if such thing on a phone) app and at the same time try to multi-task. So its a half truth although few pieces of software run on multiple threads on phones today so its more like 3/4 the truth.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The more important thing is the dual core platform comes with a andreno 220 which is a lot faster and that's what is important for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.