Sony Files Patent on PS2 Emulator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
An emulator is fine as long as it does all the necessary work fast enough. Happy users will be the final test, not just happy marketing people...

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
as long as it can upconvert the game. i saw a ps2 game on an hd tv and it looked awful. maybe it was just because it was a 1080p vizio that couldn't do a progressive scan?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]I think the fact that they could release this only now says a lot about how difficult it is to code with Cell.What then if they decided to kill the PS2, it would be uneconomical to keep a whole factory that just produces the EE when the PS3 could live without it.[/citation]

Well, it's not that the emotion engine chip cost anything to make. But, that the system board on the ps3 had to be designed to support the chip and the other ps3 hardware. Which cost more money than using a software solution.

And as far as difficulty coding for the Cell processor, I think it's more a combination of the two processors. There was a lot of griping about coding for the 128bit emotion engine processor back when it came out as well. Not to mention they need to have software that can translate 128bit risc code to 64bit cisc code. Which is one of the main reasons that it's hard to get a working PS2 emulator for the PC, at least that has any decent performance.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]it has long been speculated that Sony intended to make a PS2 emulator for PS3 but refused to announce it because it would cause PS3 sales to skyrocket and PS2 sales to plummet which would further bankrupt Sony's Playstation division since PS2s are sold at a profit but PS3s are sold at a loss.what i'd like to know is if they will make this emulator like the emulators on PC which allows the render resolution to be almost limitless.[/citation]
umm no lol NO console will ever make any game with a "limitless" resolution tv resolutions dont scale as much as pc monitor resolutions even when talking aobut HDTV's trhey are still limited in resolution compared to pc monitors what you need to ask is will this emulatator allow the ps2 games to upscale to 1080p (which is the current maximum resolution of HDtv's ),and even 1080 p will still produce "jaggies" (i know cos i ahve viewed 1080p on my friends 42 inch lcd). the question that concerns me , is will the next generation of consoles be able to do 1080p with 8x (or higher) AA, with out being little toaster ovens that consoles were this generation.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]maybe it was just because it was a 1080p vizio that couldn't do a progressive scan?[/citation]
Strangely enough, the "p" in 1080p stands for progressive scan.

Backwards compatibility should be standard these days. If you want someone to upgrade to your latest product, then you shouldn't have them worry about holding onto the past. And as someone stated above about Sony preferring people buy the PS2 instead of the PS3 because they lose money on the PS3, I question Sony's logic in that case. If they are not profiting from it, they shouldn't be making it. We certainly don't view the PS3 as charity work.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]as long as it can upconvert the game. i saw a ps2 game on an hd tv and it looked awful. maybe it was just because it was a 1080p vizio that couldn't do a progressive scan?[/citation]The p in 1080p means progressive. Perhaps you mean because the 1080p progressive scan TV doesn't have interlacing, which a PS2 practically relies on to not look like total crap. For the record, my Dreamcast looks better on an HDTV than my PS2 does - and the DC is using S-video and the PS2 is using Sony component cables. There are a couple of games which are an exception to this, but not enough to matter.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]umm no lol NO console will ever make any game with a "limitless" resolution tv resolutions dont scale as much as pc monitor resolutions even when talking aobut HDTV's trhey are still limited in resolution compared to pc monitors[/citation]First of all, when you don't use any punctuation, your words read like a rambling buffoon. Second, when he was saying that emulators allow nearly limitless resolution, he means that an emulator can run a game in a higher resolution than it was originally intended for, thus making things look sharper, clearer, and reducing jaggies. You can also sometimes force things like modern anti-aliasing and filtering techniques onto these same games, that were never in there originally. This is not hard to understand if you've ever run a Playstation emulator before.

Furthermore, I don't know where you get off saying that HDTVs are very limited in resolution compared to PC monitors. 1080p is 1920 x 1080. That's pretty decent. Granted, the actual density of monitors is higher due to their generally-smaller size. But modern TVs run a respectable resolution. The PROBLEM is that most people don't have a true high-def source and connection to their 1080p TV, so it doesn't look like it should. If you have a decent blu-ray player hooked up to a modern 1080p set via HDMI, it looks pretty damn good.

As far as "jaggies" on your friend's HDTV, whatever game he's playing isn't really running at 1080p with full AA or it wouldn't look like crap. Oh, but that's a limitation of the Console/PC hardware, and not the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.