Sony HDR-FX1: High Definition Video Has Arrived!

PunchGrinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Thats the first time Ive seen somebody explain the difference in HD resolution in such simplicity. Progressive,Interlaced.

What we're dealing with is not only 'frame size (information per frame)in cameras,also considering that information situated to the relationship of 'fitting it to the screen.

Since this is as well the consideration for details in HDTV signals. My question is with the U.S. going to something other than NTSC,how is it that HDTV is considered to 'save bandwidth. While the actual picture size contains almost twice as much information if much more.

I can understand,from the display point of view'',.."dammit I want a bigger screen and Im going to have one". But if your speaking from the ideas of cameras,frames,and picture size information you havent exactly done so in recluse w/o the display. Unless of course the intension is some wall painting exhibitions.

With video,think vcr,not much is ever said about 'frames",although they too display on a 'display. Yet w/o any type of 'wave signal.Less parsing it to 'fit the display.

Guess now that Ive read that about the 'interlaced,and progressive. There is a series of conductive distrutive beuty knowing the mathmatics about the camera.Then when I look at 'disc space however,where 'information (less frames per sec now),the vastness of the camera becomes more challenging towards the 'display again in metrics.

But I would basically like this comment as I did,and wonder the ideas behind,saving broadcast bandwidth since of course using the digital 'line,an .avi (think frame,information size_),or NTFS file (think frame,information size) is going to be VERY LARGE. However interlaced,and progressive would be at the descretion of the broadcastor (less cpu space in 'frame,less 'capability of interlaced,vrs progressive).

Guess Im saying that you can do anything with digital in the wavespace that you can in any other kind of space using digital processing.However the metrics isn't as phenominal as the 'picture sounds just from talking about the picture.

- was considering posting this in 'Faulty Products. 2+2=4,only if both remain of the group in '4.(Your Sony HDR-FX1 required sofware wich was not part of the 'group of softwares). But where would you post within 'group,when does not exist,but a mention. As 'hint,'hint My Sony HDR-FX1 needs software ?..

jmorey

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
But I don't understand the logic of calling this camera a the "native 16:9" camera. It just does pixel stretching at the panel layer instead of in the optics. Just look at the resolution. It is 1440x1080. That is 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't see how using this camera would be any different from using a camera that has a 4:3 panel that uses optics to get the 16:9 effect by doing horizontal compression. To truly be a 16:9 HD camera the resolution should be 1920x1020 or 1280x720.