Sony Makes the PlayStation 3 Slim Official, $299

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

da bahstid

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
In and of itself, the price tag is good enough for me, but I really don't want to buy a PS2 separately...ever. Though I appreciate Sony's probably put a lot of effort into making this financially feasible and competitive...personally I'd happily pay $50 more to get BC with the PS3's upscaling as well.

Maybe I can find an old one used that has BC and upscaling for something reasonable by now. I wouldn't care if the HD is only 60GB or whatever it was.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]thepetey[/nom]lol are you dumb?![/citation]

it's not dumb to ask about PS2 backwards compatibility on the slim even though the article says that the slim doesn't have PS2 backwards compatibility and that is because it might be possible in future to use an all software based emulator to achieve it which could mean that all PS3s, from the past even, will be PS2 backwards compatible.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
its not like the recent ps3 models have been backwards compatible with ps2 games anyway! only the first series models were. but thumbs up to sony for actually getting serious in competing with the other consoles from a value point of view...finally

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]who really cares about the vastly inflated blu-ray when you have the cool cheap DVD upsampled properly.[/citation]
you seriously can't tell the difference? You can't just make pixels out of nothing, that is why blu-ray>dvd, upsampled or not.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
To the guy who mentioned the Euro conversion rate, (I noticed too, except I live in UK so it might be even worse),

299 Euros = 422.76 U.S. dollars.

Why!?

goose man

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Actually the Japanese who is being ripped off ?
Why ?

First, 29980 yen = 316 USD. I know $15 doesn't seem much but ...

Second, Let's say that the actual cost plus profit of this thing is N, then N = $299 - X, where X is shipping cost plus imported tax (from Japan to USA)

So they should sell this thing in Japan at N, so they ripped off japanese people as much as $15+X

The value of X for Europeans may be significantly higher than for USA, after all the distance from Japan to Europe is longer than to USA and the imported tax is possibly higher too.

So N+X for Europeans is probably is at 299 Euros (plus minus)

G

1€ is not equal with $1. Bloody stupid policy if they keep it in 299€..

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I might buy one the day Sony takes exchange rates into account; considering 1 USD = 0.7 EUR, has been in that area for more than a year and will probably stay there a while longer, that means the European version is sold at a $100 premium.

Short answer: no thanks.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Sony isn't the only one doing this. Look at Canon cameras. They have these same pricing differences. Granted Canon isn't 1 to 1, but Europe definitely pays a premium. There must be some additional taxes or tariffs in Europe that don't exist in the US.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]Sony isn't the only one doing this. Look at Canon cameras. They have these same pricing differences. Granted Canon isn't 1 to 1, but Europe definitely pays a premium. There must be some additional taxes or tariffs in Europe that don't exist in the US.[/citation]
Europeans are more selective of what they buy, and they are willing to pay more for quality stuff. So "quality" companies can impose higher costs because their stuff will sell regardless, so better profit margins. North Americans are cheap, and we but what costs less...hence why Walmart rules here.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
So i think i'll wait a little longer, untill the slim PS3 costs 100Euros and i can get a 10Euro GOW3 disc from e-bay. BTW, i bought my first PS2, also my first console, this year :)

4colyte

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Does this also mean they will discontinue the Fat PS3 eventually?
I think the "slim" version is sony's attempt to save the embarrassment of admitting they had made a mistake recently telling everyone there would be no price cut. $100 for PS2 compatibility and 40GB extra HDD space nowadays is simply ridiculous.
They'd better come up with more realistic solution to boost PS3 sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.