Sony Moving to Serial Numbers with PS3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i dont understand why they are spending millions on this, yes the master key has been reliased
but about 99.99% dont know how to use it

so its useless to them
inorder to use the key you need to write a script for it to be usefull

G

Preventing the sale of used games, along with the recent tendency to never reduce the price on old games (even after several years), is just companies raising prices by 200% just because they can. To the industry, you buying a single game new and twenty used in a year is no better than you buying just that single new game, as eliminating the used market would cause. I buy games used because I don't feel they are worth $60, or dont want to risk $60 on an unknown product, not because I'm not interested in supporting the developers or couldn't afford to buy them new.

Ideally, no used game market would mean developers would actually reduce the prices on new games sooner to cater to the market that obviously exists, as they'd still be making something upwards of 90% profit on each sale. Unfortunately, if the current trend of selling two or three year old releases for $60 suggests anything, publishers are of the attitude that if you weren't willing to pay $60 when the game launched, you shouldn't ever play it.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I seriously agree with every comment saying that Sony just needs TO STOP.
This will negatively impact the gaming industry, namely consoles (er, PS3)
I like to borrow games from my friends all the time, and vise versa. I lent my buddy Read Dead Redemption and he lent me Assassin's Creed. No serials. No nothing.
As if it isn't already crystal clear, Sony is CLEARLY doing this for corporate rights and security reasons. Totally draining the existing social experience here. With the Xbox, put any disk in any system, even copy your gamer profile, done deal. No, not with Sony. They're turning into the goddamn Apple of the gaming industry. I may have to shell out the 60 bucks for Black Ops for 360 to boycott the s*** PSN network and not experience the worst network connection of any console game I've ever played.
Over and out.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]You can kiss console game rentals goodbye.[/citation]
At $7 per rental,(or however much they charge these days), who the hell is still renting games anymore? Before I got a real game system, (PC), I used to just buy games off e-bay then resell them when I'm done with them. Usually cost me about the same or less but I could keep it as long as I want or never get rid of it at all if it's good enough.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Well I was buying a ps3 just to hack but then changed my stance to use it legit. But after reading this, why would anyone have a legit ps3? So telling people that they cant do something to a computer thats in their home that they own wasnt enough now your telling people that they cant sell items that they bought.

This just goes to show you what Ive felt for about 2 years. This shows you that you never own ANYTHING. Were all leasing or renting items that we paid for and the courts are letting this happen. While others hack, I buy legit. I have over 50 games between my gaming rig and my 360 but this honestly will change my stance on future purchases. I like to make money on the back end selling old games for new ones but thats going to be a thing of the past.

Thank you Sony for making it an easy choice to hack and play 'backup' games on my ps3. My mistake for trying to serve you as a legit customer.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Sony will not go through with this. If so, there out of the console business.

But someone will figure out a way to bypass it anyway....

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
gsxr, they can dump the ps3's code now, in a few years they wont be able to stop them becasue they will be able to have a perminant fix liek the pandora battery with psp first and second generation

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Sony... You are overreacting. Nintendo has a thousand times more pirated games, and they don't resort this this idea. And just because your console is hacked, you have to piss off all the gamers for you to earn every single penny you could have lost from pirating.

G

I hate this idea like everyone else however, I will not complain *IF* the code will allow me to trade in for a downloadable/ Direct to hard drive version. I upgraded my drive a while back to 320GB and if this feature were to become real I'd gladly go up to 500GB. If I end up buying a game and have to put in the serial and then if I change my HD or want to lend it to a friend and this serial shit gives a problem I will have a real problem with Sony. I will not take the disadvantages of downloadable games in Disc format, it just doesn't make sense. If I have to deal with DRM like downloadable games from PSN, at least give me the advantages they would bring like all my games downloaded to hard drive.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
More and more piracy will just give the big players a good reason to move entirely to Cloud gaming.. which I'd do anything to try and stop.

I think Sony are entitled to release as many patches as they want; the step they're thinking about might be a bit far though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't really care if they want me to enter a code to play a game, but limiting it to 5 uses is just not cool. What they need to do it just check the serial code when you connect online and make sure that no other users are playing at the same time with the same code.

Whatever though, I'm happy paying a discounted price for most games and not being able to sell them. Steam FTW. More convenient, better service, no worry about scratched discs, and steep discounts on games that are 6 months+ old.

G

they should just come up with some proprietary lense system or sell them on usb thumb drives with individual 512 bit encryption. and a password the drive would have to be in the ps3 in order to play.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Heh well there goes my Gamestop credit. Sounds like a need for a private server? I should get hacker points for that : )

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Is this a joke?
They have been using serial codes on PC games for decades and i don't know a single game that you cant get the serial code for.
The only downside is usually no multiplayer access, but in some games that's not a downside at all.

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
If I buy a game it is nobody's business what I do with it. If I want to give it away or sell it it is up to me. I wish for a lawsuit sometime soon that will result in companies being forced to let their customers do whatever they want with purchased games... It would be great if I could sell some of my steam games that I do not play anymore.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]xantek24[/nom]it doesnt bother me really....i just smashed my ps3 after reading this....[/citation]
i will not buy a ps4 that is for certain. You now wont even be able to hire a game from your local Blockbuster. This is f-ing gay Sony you have just lost customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS