Sony Moving to Serial Numbers with PS3?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Everyone that doesn't want cloud computing or serial games will migrate to a platform that doesn't push you into limitations. Those that don't know any better will stick around.And the whole time they will hold their nose in the air and call others d#uchebags. Poetic justice to fanbois i'd say lol.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]As not an owner of a PS3 I read this with some amusement - but that's about it.[/citation]

You should be concerned. This is the way console gaming is going. This will jump start the reality that we as consumers dont own anything. This effects us all. Soon there will be no physical copies of games. To the cloud!

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
all i can say is cool sony can do what they want i buy games and dont trade in i collect, yea sucks for poor people but hey get a damn job people can QQ all they want but i do believe corporations have a right to protect thier investments in a multi billion dollar industry im suprised its not worse you cant trade a book you buy from amazon on kindle why should games be any different?

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I'd like to see a more official release of this information but... It really doesn't make much sense to cut out the rental/used game business, I'm sure every company that has anything to do with either would be up-in-arms pretty quickly.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Stop saying the entire console industry is doomed as if Nintendo and MS are dumb enough to go through with this. Only Sony is willing to cripple their own business at the expense of fighting piracy, and I fully believe they would be foolish enough to do this. Learn the lessons the PC industry already learned, restricting customers to fight piracy only encourages it. More people will learn how to do workarounds to this method and crack keys, and once they learn, they realize how easy piracy really is. Ignorance is one of the strongest anti piracy methods.

The more you tighten your grip, the more customers will slip through your fingers.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I've never considered pirating a ps3 game. It never really seemed worth the hassle to me. But if my friend and I can't share the occasional game, or rent one, or buy a used one... I just may have to take the time to figure it out.

Just recently I got into playing some of the really good ps2 titles. You can't buy these new anymore. What happens when the ps4 is out and people want to play old ps3 games? How much technology and content will we lose to these ridiculous attempts to stop piracy? Why can't they just accept it as a business risk (like shoplifting). You can work to reduce it, but never eliminate. Stop pissing off the people who support you!

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
well.. IMHO i dont really care about PS3 anymore.. yes i own PS3 when it first come out. but after few game i end up using my PS3 watching movie more then playing games. after i build my new PC which hook up to TV only time i fire up PS3 are watching blueray disc.
it seems i buy game from steam more and more.. buying em in super weekend deal 85% discount mean i dont really care about resale since game price is low enuff already.
the only reason it would make me buying PS3 game over PC with same title are how the DRM handle. when i buy console game i expect to just pop in and it work. remember, by buying console game it also mean they cut you off from any possible user mod. i always laugh on ppl who pay for map pack DLC, if you have pc version not only u got new map for free but there millions different map flowing around you can pick on.
sony can do whatever they want.. with complete failure of PSP, serial number would only mean they push me completely over to PC side.

G

How about a better reason to really have a PS3 like games play better on it, or better games? Not some driving simulator exclusive with 80% PS2ish cars nor that long running JRPG that plays very much like a blue-ray movie?

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
*yawn*... the more they try, the more they fail.

The companies need to worry less about piracy and more about how to make the dollars spent worth the most to the customer. To give them the most experience they can for the buck. Not to make their lives more miserable.

Paying consumer: Serials, activation bs, proprietary DRM stuff that messes up the hardware (PC), slower performance (due to the DRM)
Pirate: Insert crack, done.

Give paying consumers a reason to pay for your already overpriced garbage. Don't give them an another reason to look into piracy. I am mainly a PC gamer but also enjoy console gaming, but the consoles has been stripped of so much potential (especially PS3 with Linux support removed) while at the same time prices has gone up making it in the end more affordable to get a PC. Or just wait until the console is hacked and pirate the games.

I admit it, I do pirate games. Not all games (I spend nearly $500 each month on games) but that amount is getting lower and lower due to more agressive DRM schemes as well as lack of quality titles. I pirate games on PC because the lack of proper demos, and I usually mod my consoles because it's a lot more convenient (I get what I was promised and more features, such as harddrive loading on Wii).

Again, give customers something that make them happy about the purchase. And not a $60 paper slip with "bend over and give us your wallet".

The day I can't resell my games is the day I stop buying them. Tell me Sony, who will lose on this in the end? Surely not me since I got options... do you?

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]....In Europe they have Spotify, a free, ad-supported music service that is legal, profitable, and convenient!
[/citation]

I agree with the thrust of the post, but Spotify is loss making still if I recall correctly.

[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I don't really care if they want me to enter a code to play a game, but limiting it to 5 uses is just not cool. What they need to do it just check the serial code when you connect online and make sure that no other users are playing at the same time with the same code.Whatever though, I'm happy paying a discounted price for most games and not being able to sell them. Steam FTW. More convenient, better service, no worry about scratched discs, and steep discounts on games that are 6 months+ old.
[/citation]

If the used game sector is as important as people seem to feel then it really ought to feed through into the pricing - as long as people don't still troop out and buy the games at full price and as long as the people selling them realise that the demand will be there again once they drop the price to reflect the lack of resale value, then things will be sensible.

I find Steam pricing for new games to generally be massively overblown, but as mentioned the prices do get reduced reasonably.

A more noticeable problem will be that retail stores will be further hit. In the UK (and I suspect in the EU in general) they ought to stop the ability for online deliveries to sidestep VAT as without having lots of staff etc there's no need for a 20% bonus to the online sellers.

Having a big fat database storing the usage of each code would work possibly, you crack down on people using key-gens (a bit as there would be innocent victims I imagine) but you also let people pay to top up the number of usages the key has. Then secondhand sales are viable, either the buyer can do it or if it goes through a store they could probably wangle beneficial rates - everyone wins (until someone cracks the system and gets free top-ups).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And here we go again, punish the legit buyers for the pirates wrong doings and in the meantime the pirates dont have to worry about it - talk about a misdirected punishment!

Makes me wonder why some people turn into pirates in the first place.... (NO i don't pirate stuff but i can fully understand why some do just to avoid the pain the legit buyers have to go thought with activations ect)

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
meh. sony doesnt care about legit buyers.. why would they, it wouldnt help their bottom line any. heck, im all for pirating sony, if it allows legitimacy to continue among players. and im sure that in itself makes no sense. but if sony as a company just cares about their profits (as they should, otherwise theyd go broke), then the end user should be concerned about themselves, and 'not' the company.

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I love piracy.I used to buy games.But i am completely fed up with DRM and online activation.I started pirating games the day AC2 pc was launched with a fucking DRM.Now i pirate every game install the game apply crack done.NO DRM NONSENSE.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
You could just "de-link" a serial to a console, allowing you to re-sell it.

This might not be likely (given the current actions of the companies), but you could do it.

beardface2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
It does make me chuckle.. "you will never stop pirates so why bother"...

Heck, with an argument like that, why bother to employ police, as there will alsways be crime...

Doctors? No need! As there will always be disease...!

I don't agree with these measures of DRM particularly, but I would expect no less of a company to try and stop piracy, how they go about it, and whether it destroys their own reputation is their business!

battlecrafts

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Maybe it is not the good way to keep the loyalty of Sony customers but these hackers are destroying in part their business. By the way,they have to keep in mind that loyalty and satisfaction is really important.

Besides, they must probably accept this fact : there will always be someone to hack their games.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
funny how the losers on here are overreacting to something that is just a rumor. you guys are like the republican and the tea bagger parties in the US who just jump on any ridiculous info. this seem like something MS would do first cause they always like gouging there customers with on line gaming fees and unreliable gaming hardware.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
So what I am gathering from this story is that $ony is tired of the console market and is trying to find a way to gracefully bail from it???

People need to stop using the term "piracy" when discussing this matter. This step $ony is making has nothing to do with "pirated" software. This is a direct stab at resellers and rental companies.

I don't know how many middle fingers $ony currently has but they seem to be flying a lot of them at every single consumer they have right now.

PS4 prediction : opening weekend sales - 2,831 units sold.

G

Ugh. Just imagine having to punch in a huge product key with that stupid virtual keyboard every time you buy a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.