Sony Patent Details Method on Blocking Used Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It doesn't matter. Just vote with your wallets. Also, this sounds easily hacked. Couldn't someone just browse a physical shop with an NFC reading device beside a new game and "play that code" back near the console?

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Well, unless they pull this junk out before they launch or make there games very cheap ($20 roughly), I'm pretty sure the only people that sony will have left for this game console is there really hard core fan base.

Anyone else that prefers to get 2nd hand games will probably switch over to the Next gen Xbox, WiiU, or the PC.

Hmmm.... maybe that's how we'll get PC gaming back to it's glory days. Let the console makers force the consumers away from their own product........ :D

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
All i can say is LOL. Its not like Sony have a history of screwing the customers over for every penny possible.

Securom, Rootkits installed with music CD's allowing malware to get shielded by the drm's stealth mechanic ect ect.

I vote with my valet and they went too far years ago so not a single new Sony product have passed my doorstep and this just enforces my belief.

Markon101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I do not care because I get all my games from steam for $5-15. I have to say at $60 a pop it's just too expensive to play console games.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It could work if gamestop is willing to take a loss and possibly make it up somewhere else. Dont get me wrong, drm is crap considering practically everything physical that I own will outlast a crappy disk.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Gamefly is going to be so screwed if Sony intends to implement this with the PS4.

Doesn't affect me since I haven't bought the "current" gen consoles and with this patent coming down the pipe I see more people staying away from the PS4 or not buying before they do a LOT more research at the very least.

This isn't going to be good for Sony's PR.

G

Welp, Sony, this is one Playstation gal who won't be buying the PS4 if this b/s goes through.

PC gaming is looking better and better.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Breaking news, just in
IvanTO Patent Details Method on Blocking Sony PS4 from entering the household.

According to a patent related to comon sense and fairness (CCF) technology, households with comon sense and desire for fairness could suppress Sony products including but not limited to PlayStation 4, from being bought in retail brick and mortar stores; online retailers.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Retrophe[/nom]Hmm . . . unless it's incorporated into the disk, you could buy a used game and chunk the case.But yes this is BS.[/citation]

It IS in the disc.

[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Well, unless they pull this junk out before they launch or make there games very cheap ($20 roughly), I'm pretty sure the only people that sony will have left for this game console is there really hard core fan base.Anyone else that prefers to get 2nd hand games will probably switch over to the Next gen Xbox, WiiU, or the PC. Hmmm.... maybe that's how we'll get PC gaming back to it's glory days. Let the console makers force the consumers away from their own product........[/citation]

BTW the same rumor has flown around for the next Xbox as well. Nintendo's stocks could rise sharply after E3 this year. They cannot, for the record, make AAA titles for $20 per game. Making fancy modern 3d games takes staffs of hundreds anymore. I am not saying they cannot make a GOOD game for under $20, just not the blockbuster game. Consoles sinking does not mean every console gamer is just going to go over to PC either, that would be absurd. More than likely the industry would face a collapse not seen since the Atari days.

Of course, this IS just a rumor. There are other uses for this, and also the possibility that Sony could leave it in the game publisher's hands whether or not to enable the feature on specific titles. This would shift the blame from Sony onto the publishers.

Really though, I'm against it in any form. The only devs that should fear used game sales are those that think their product is such garbage it will certainly be returned. Rentals are a way for people to try titles they are unsure about, but that doesn't prevent them from ultimately buying it. Movies and books are far more often consumed once whereas games can be replayed over and over in the future. I don't see libraries putting the publishing industry out of business.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]User accounts that are transferable. Solved.This seems like a silly and stupid idea, but the publishers and Sony are willing to take the chance... unfortunately they probably won't see almost any loss in income, since killing the used market will only effect hardware sales income. If they create a strong enough product and price it right...[/citation]
multiple accounts in the house. problem remains.

zedon

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]multiple accounts in the house. problem remains.[/citation]

Each account needs it's own game. Or they need to play on the same account.

I figure all companies will do this eventually. It won't really affect me since I only buy 3 or 4 console games a year new. Mostly I buy PC games. Like someone said if the cost is prohibitive wait a few months, prices come down pretty quickly these days.
Hopefully more money will go to the makers of games and they will produce more top quality games. I really don't care if Jimmy down the street gets his used game a few dollars cheaper at gamestop. It's not good for gaming.

l0ve11

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
It'll be easy to clone the chip before you play the game but if it's connected to the internet then that'll make things difficult.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]referendum[/nom]No problem, just buy the title brand new 6 months to 1 year later when it is going for 50% off.[/citation]
you really thing games will be 50% off a year from now new?
god, i wish that were the case, but i still see games from around launch in the 20$ range used, much less new. hell i forget the game but it was 3 years old, and was still 55$ new, yea, it got marked down a whole 5$

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]The-Darkening[/nom]This is crap, but digital games already don't let you sell them. I don't see why Sony would even bother. They can make a digital download console only and the result would be the same. I hope they fail miserably with this.[/citation]Exactly - others commenting here forget that digital downloads can't be gifted on these platforms (once used, anyway).

At least if Sony hold the patent on it then it's one less digital restrictions management technique for the rest of the industry to latch onto. Unless they license it, of course.

My inner cynic prevents me from believe Sony patented this to prevent such evil from making it into the industry, but I don't think it may be used to entirely block games as I'm not sure they would get away with that legally (as distinct from normal computer software which has a clear-cut license agreement when installing - moreover, you don't install games on the consoles so any license would surely pertain to the disk itself). More likely it will be used to restrict content in some way such that second-hand games aren't the optimum experience without buying an unlock online. I.e. the tag qualified for free DLC on the original console but on the new one it does not.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Simple... Don't buy a Sony console or game.
I do not own any of their entertainment gear. Custom hardware, root kit issues, DRM... Fudge Sony.

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm not sure that there really was anything deserving of a patent, but if there
is a valid use would be to Sony to not implement the use of the patent in
any of it's games and charge a high enough royalty so that no one else would
use the technique.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
This kind of thing had existed in PC gaming for many many years now. You can't really resell PC games like console games. Why don't they just follow the PC gaming model? Each game comes with a key and it binds to an account? (Like Steam). What's the fuss with a new patent? Most people will have some sort of internet connection with some sort of PSN ID anyways.

Oh well, I guess used cars should be binded to the original purchaser too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS