Sony Patent Details Method on Blocking Used Games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
As for the digital download, at least Steam does it right. I mean I can have that on several computers, but I (the user) can only be logged into one. With Sony, they cap out the devices (only two portable units). Then there is GOG goodness. I hope the ip owners make more money off of GOG than their other channels -- this would send a good message.

As for this whole "used game" bullshit, maybe car manufacturs will now start putting in biometric sensors and marry you to the car. These corps get worse and worse every day.

And honestly I don't think Gamestop or Gmaefly will be screwed. I think it is Sony that will be screwed if these company ball-up and not market then entire Sony line.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
I was a big fan of Sony back in the day. Sony TVs, PS1, Walkman, etc. Sony has lost my trust and vote for anything after the PS2 was released. They USED to be a good company with values and consumer focus. Now the only focus they have is the almighty dollar with all their failed DRM attempts and poor customer relations. Pretty much like any other company out there these days...

This can not follow the PC way of DRM because Sony is trying to allow the system to be off line and not require an internet connection. The disk will register to the system instead of activating it online and registering the number of activations or the computer ID. At least PC gaming is SOMEWHAT transferable and reusable.

New games will not drop in price over time because in theory if this is implemented then there is no incentive to lower prices for publishers. The used market is null and void and there will be no used versions on the shelf to compete against price-wise. If you want it you have to pay full price. I see games stagnating on shelves while publishers wait for them to be bought at full price because in their mind if you wan it, you will pay.

If this goes full steam, it will really be a toss-up as to how it will go. The consumer will make the final decision on whether this will fly or fail. The best case scenario is that minimal systems are sold and there are so many complaints, problems, and unsold games that Sony releases a firmware update to kill the DRM in the system and change the manufacturing process to not create any more disks with the DRM installed.

BTW, all this new DRM using NFC takes hardware. Hardware in the system and a chip in the Disk. There will be a whole different disk manufacturing process that will add to the cost. Game prices will be more and the return will be less. BAD BAD MOVE SONY. WHEN WILL YOU LEARN NOT TO DICTATE YOU CUSTOMERS...

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
For those worrying about broken console replacement and being unable to play your games... I guess it's not so hard to make the tag module inside the console removable/transferable. So they will just take it from the broken unit and insert it into the replacement unit.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This was rumored months ago following E3, though it wasn't pegged to any single console maker at the time. You'd be surprised how many horribly misinformed people out there (and I'm talking about supposed gaming fans on sites like IGN) talk about this like it's a good idea. The only hope right now is that Sony simply plans to hold the patent and charge up the ya-hoo for others to license it while not using it themselves.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dissatisfied[/nom]Welp, Sony, this is one Playstation gal who won't be buying the PS4 if this b/s goes through.PC gaming is looking better and better.[/citation]

PC gaming IS better, but not because of this. There's plenty of DRM involved with PC gaming too. Ultimately you'll probably still wind up paying more for a solid PC gaming rig and games than you would buying PS4 games at full price. You become a PC gamer because the visual experience, customization, and controls are better, among other things.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]PC gaming IS better, but not because of this. There's plenty of DRM involved with PC gaming too. Ultimately you'll probably still wind up paying more for a solid PC gaming rig and games than you would buying PS4 games at full price. You become a PC gamer because the visual experience, customization, and controls are better, among other things.[/citation]

Actually there are tons of math examples to the contrary. Even a mid-range PC plays games a zillion times better than any of the current consoles. It costs a little premium up front but for each game purchased compared to a console the difference shrinks due to the price difference for the games. Usually any PC gamer ends up in a monetary win in the end.

Benefits beside just monetary is upgradable (why buy a whole new system when the gpu is exchangeable for example?), scalability (why not choose how much power you want for your budget?), backwards compatibility (the bought games aren't wasted when changing "gen") ect ect.

I like choices rather than being boxed in... what is yours?

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
That will not save them from piracy. No console maker EVER admits the amount of pirated consoles there are on the market right now, along with the pirated console games. And this move will further push people to piracy.

Think of how many gaming companies are on the brink of bankruptcy right now? Is it because their games have been pirated? Or because they sell a game for sixty euros to offer 20 hours of gameplay tops? They don't lower the prices, their games sux, but they still want to earn millions? They need to get out of their virtual reality and simply take a different approach to their customers. All this failure in the gaming industry is their own doing. And if they continue like that they will simply vanish.

Think of how many games hit top sales this year.

Skyrim : for me it was like more than 150 hours spent in the game and still not done
Borderlands 2 : been playing for a month now and simply can't get bored of it.
Torchlight 2. Got it for 10 euros and it was worth every cent for its content.

Will I honestly buy a game that is crap? NO! Am I the only one? NO!

Do i have to remind people of the failure of the likes of Rage? Such a short game with so many problems attributed to your gpu drivers, only to be fixed by changing one small line in your executable. (Actually I am one of the idiots that bought it then got an apology from its creator while he got my money.)

Respect your customers or you get no respect in the end.

G

i will play the games i own, as i wish
anything you do to interrupt that will be noted

Status
Not open for further replies.