Sony Patents Game Demos That Rot Over Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, give people the entire game download for free, so then all they have to do is download a crack when the game starts degrading, instead of having to get the entire file. Great idea, Sony.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
You guys are thinking in terms of PCs. In terms of consoles (PS3 especially) this is genius since you can get into the game, then grow generally weaker and then popup! "Do you want to buy the game through PSN?" It will also let you use the character data and saves from the demo, which is nice. It's genius for the PS3 because that console is notoriously hard to crack. Besides, if the consoles hardware DRM is cracked, they can download the game and play it anyway.

Any demo that lets me play the actual game, even if it's for a shortened time, is fine by me.

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
As soon as these come out they are going to be cracked. Once that happens people will have no reason to buy the game, they will already have it =). at least the dishonest ones

qwoz

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hey sony, how about just give out all your games for free and if people like it, you will get donations.

G

Dang, this is a fun game... let me play a few levels...

wow... this is fun... I'll play for a few hours now, and again when I get up in the morning...

Morning comes...

I know I drank a little last night, these graphics aren't so good... the sound stinks... I thought I had better gear yesterday... Whatever, I'm not buying this game.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
They were granted a patent for this ?

How briliant is this idea anyway ? So when another developer tries to do the same thing, they can't unless they pay Sony ? There is absolutely nothing new in this idea, nothing clever, no miracle programming here, it's just a simple time quality implementation.

What kind of stupid patent system allows for such a patent ?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i think it is stupid sony was allowed to patent this idea , time based demos are nothing new ther have been quite a few pc gmae demos that were time based (( suually 2d flash based game))

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I think if it works properly, this will be nice. I personally don't purchase a game without a demo, even if it means pirating and then going back and paying for it. TBH, the people who pirate will always pirate. This won't make it much harder to do that...

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I don't know how this is a "new" idea. It's just a time based demo with a twist. Time based demos have been around for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.