Sony: Publishers Being Held Ransom by Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Considering its Sony, I don't think their own store will do so well. They introduce all these great new technologies, but they never seem to stick around for long. Add in the fact that they are in a proprietary format, it just means they are going to be sticking with iTunes.

As much as I want to seem the succeed. Unless they can come out with some great games at a low price. They are in for a long protracted battle against Apple and the new wave of devs.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"We are not as closed as Apple is,"

Of course not Sony, you simply make proprietary console systems and invent new media instead of going with the socially accepted standard that tends to fail (Mini Disc, SACD, UMD, Memory Stick). I mean, it's easy to call yourself open when you remove nearly every feature on your system.

I wouldn't even blame them for running a proprietary system, as long as they don't remove promised features or try to get people to buy any more lousy media formats. Playstation Suite is likely to be ripped onto non "approved" Android devices within the first week, if not the first day. The more open they make themselves, the easier it will be to pirate them.

Fox88

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What would be awsome is to see Onlive to team up with sonys Xperia. Not only play ps1 and 2 games but to play 3 at high def only bad thing i see is having to be in a fast wifi spot.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow a lot of Sony hate here.
I'm good with Sony winning if they go DRM free, or at least if their "iTunes" client is lightweight.
I also have to say that Sony has no problem selling their hardware at a loss, while the closest Apples ever come to selling at a loss is 30% profit.

We'll see how everything shakes out, but all in all Apple has a lot of problems and If Sony can fix them; hey, more power to Sony.

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I want to slap Sony. All of Sony. Somehow.

FIRST TIME it's not proprietary? Where have you been all these years? Have you ever even heard of the PC? I'd hope so, as you sell some yourselves. Just because you chose to invent your own hardware and your own media formats specifically to lock out other hardware vendors and are realizing with the emergence of smartphones that this might not always be the case does not mean it's the FIRST TIME.

Sent from my Sony Vaio.

Betamax vs. VHS. With luck, at some point the consumers' needs will win out out stores will not be specific to platforms.

Can you imaging if you could either read books from Borders or books from Barnes and Nobles, but not both? No, worse, books from different publishers.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Fox88[/nom]What would be awsome is to see Onlive to team up with sonys Xperia. Not only play ps1 and 2 games but to play 3 at high def only bad thing i see is having to be in a fast wifi spot.[/citation]

Playing steamed games on a phoone today... sorry i just cant help it *LAUGHTER!*

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
They better do something to get the game devs onboard. Their persistence in always trying to lockout homebrew seems to be their downfall with the PSP. If they let these user communities form and not try to be so controlling, I believe they will have a winner over time. UMD was another sucky proprietary thing.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Despite hating Apple with a passion, I do admire the way they blindsided the entire music industry. First, they played on the *IAA's paranoia and control-freakery by offering them apparently strong DRM. Then, once they had a virtual monopoly on both the PMP and online music markets, they decided to offer DRM-free files too knowing that they have the monopoly and everone has to dance to their tune (excuse the pun). Now Apple have made the music industry their b*tch and the record execs have nobody to blame but themselves.

See, I can say nice things about Apple, sometimes!

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Sony claims that Apple is holding publishers hostage. Yet the music from their new service is stored on Sony's servers. So I guess it's ok for Sony to hold their customers hostage then.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Playing streamed games on a phone today... sorry i just cant help it *LAUGHTER!*[/citation]
It doesn't take much to stream a game, there is no hardware processing. It's just a matter of displaying the incoming video and audio feed (like netflix) the only difference is that it sends your input data back to the cloud so you can moved your character and do verious things in the game. VERY OLD CRAPPY hardware can do it. So, yeah, the advanced phones could easily stream games in HD. The only issue might be the data speed. But it would work fine if you just used your phone's WiFi connection. Personally I don't even have a data plan. I ONLY use WiFi because it's free, faster and you can find hotspots all over the place. Then you end up getting your connection from a cable modem or something VERY fast.

So, it sounds like your music will be stored in the cloud. This is definitely the way to go since wireless networks in the future will cover MILES not feet (using the frequency that TV has left open). No need to buy memory cards or a device with a bigger hard drive. No need to transfer music from the computer to a portable device. It will be all there all the time for every device you use.

What about games? Cloud gaming is another good idea. A low power, inexpensive device portable device that can stream games, music, movies and books without the need for internal storage.

Perhaps that is what the new playstation suite will offer. Cloud entertainment. Maybe not just music in the cloud?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Great, a choice between evil and evil. Thing is, Apple's evil is at least shinier. Sorry Sony, but I don't give a damn.[/citation]
hahahaaa you've fallen for the woman trap " here's a sparkly rock, will you be my housemaid, slave, and sex toy for the rest of my life?" " ooo it's so sparkaliieeeeee i will do anything for you sparkaliiieeeeee"
an old redneck trick when wise scholar hunting is to make a trap with a shiny object into it inwhich a racoon can fit it's hand in, but cannot remove with the object in it's grasp which it won't put down until it hears the pop of the trappers gun.
if sony would incorporate removeable batteries and an SD/miniSD card slot into it's new walkmans they'd be prefect ipod killers!
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0318802
but as it is i went with the sansa fuze 16gb because it supports FLAC and has miniSDHC
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348562
oh and they also only cost about $100
32gb minisd cards are only $55 right now so waaaaaaay cheaper
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0349730
not trying to plus microcenter, but this is where i got my stuff at after x-mas and i didn't feel like using newegg since they only have achos, zune and ipod stuff. going to multiple sites to quote bugs me when i can get it all on one :p sue me

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I spent a career in high tech. Steve and Sony go way, way back. This technique is routine for negotiations between companies. In building a business that competes with itunes, Sony has gotten a negotiation tool, and will have something more to trade for concessions with Steve,

Don't believe the press reports, PR statements, executive quotes, and analyst reports. This will end as it always does -- with a strategic dividing of the market so that both companies can get maximum profit from you and me.

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I spent a career in high tech. Steve and Sony go way, way back. This technique is routine for negotiations between companies. In building a business that competes with itunes, Sony has gotten a negotiation tool, and will have something more to trade for concessions with Steve,

Don't believe the press reports, PR statements, executive quotes, and analyst reports. This will end as it always does -- with a strategic dividing of the market so that both companies can get maximum profit from you and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.