Sony Reveals SD Cards (R.I.P. Memory Stick?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Memory Stick isn't even marketed much in Japan. Its been mostly for western markets for some odd reasons.

But yeah, I noticed on some of SONYs new cell phones from last week... SD! It bugged me to spend about twice for the micro-sized MS (M2)card to fit my Sony Phone. Okay, $30 for 4GB back then. :)

Guess SONY got smart.

1 - Sell ONLY Memory stick to only SONY products and make people grumble. or...

2 - Sell SONY brand SD cards to anyone who wants one? Hmmmmm.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
And so the overpriced memory stick bites the dust. Sure Sony prolonged it's life by realizing it was charging too much in the beginning, but they didn't do enough to promote it for use beyond it's own devices.

G

Lol!
Bye bye Sony!
I think I'll take a $5 SD card over Sony's $14 anytime!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Now if ALL Cell phones would go to a MINI USB connector for power and data transfer so we could all use the same charger![/citation]
We could only wish... Same on the PSP too please.

G

Wow I'm amazed that these comments are doing the rounds in 2010. Laughable really. I'm guessing all you anti Sony zealots have never owned CD's, MiniDV, miniDisc, S/PDIF, Video8, Digital8, 1080i HDV Camera format, Superbit Mapping, etc etc etc without the Sony Walkman there would be no iPod now. To hear people say that BD is going to die on its ass right now is shocking.

Sony memory sticks have faster write times, better on board compression and stability which make them ideal for burst mode photography and HD video. You can buy a 4Gig Duo for £24.99 or a Sony 4Gig SD card for £22.99. The price is negliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS