Sony RX100 III vs. Canon G1 X Mark II: Camera Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

massimoIT

Estimable
May 19, 2014
I possess a RX100 mark I and really is a great camera, but there is one major drawback which is pointed out in this article too (section “Color: warm and cold”).
Auto white balance gives very inaccurate color temperature drifted towards blu in outdoor scenes (seaside and skiing photo are worst cases). I got a spread of approximately 1500K between auto and custom (gray card) white balance.
I really don't like this cold (inaccurate) color and I have to correct white balance any time I take an outdoor picture!!

MrTap

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
I have G1XmkII. As Massimo pointed out, the skin tones on RX100 samples seem cold and lifeless untweaked. G1Xm2 has a similar drawback in the opposite direction -- the foliage is too yellowish out of camera, and browns turn to purples (see Plato's book back in 'Indoor and low-light quality' -section sample photo, and how differently Sony and Canon handle it) The brown becoming purple and greens turning yellowish is typical out-of-camra RAW, it gets worse the less light there is.

Seems that with either of these cameras, one will have to correct the white balance on outdoor pictures, as both are way off :(

By the way, thanks for these comparison photos, that better than any other review of studio comparison shots clearly shows what kind of images one can expect in normal shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.