Sony Str-gr510 + Sony TV KDL-48WD653 + Laptop

Hitpoint

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Hey!

I bought a used AVR Str-gr510 with 5.1 speaker set. I connected my laptop with HDMI cable to hdmi in. I connected my TV with HDMI cable to hdmi out on the reciever.
I manage to get the video from my laptop to my tv through the AVR via hdmi but i the audio is transferred to my tv too. Why can't the avr keep and stream the audio through his 5.1 set?

Im an unable to watch movies on my tv like this. If I wanted to connect my laptop to my tv with both audio and video i would have used one hdmi cable (from laptop to tv)...

I don't get it. Really. Whats the recievers purpose then?
Please help! Thank you!

Solution
okay so you are getting audio of some form. that is good. if your amplifier was in protect mode you would be getting no sound whatsoever.

have you tried both hdmi inputs?
have you tried without the tv connected? do you get any sound now or nothing still?
do you have a device which ouputs via optical? you could test the optical input to see if it works.

if the product doesnt work are you able to take it back?

you should be getting sound when connected via laptop->receiver->tv all via hdmi. something is wrong with your receiver or in its settings.

-is your receiver volume muted or low?
-is the receiver amplifier in protect mode? (perhaps why it was being sold?) did you hear it run before you bought it?
-go into speaker setup and set things to default or at minimum check if everything looks correct
-are the speakers hooked up correctly?
-do the speakers fire with another source besides hdmi?
-in your laptops audio options the receiver (or hdmi output) should be the default device.

Hitpoint

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Thank you for your quick reply!
-my reciever is not on mute when i checked
-I dont know what is protect mode. It has sound on FM. And sadly nope, i didnt check it before i bought it because i didnt have the chance.
- as the default settings, i resetted the acr twice and no luck.
- the speakers are conneceted correctly as they produce sound via FM
- i tried to set the default audio device on my laptop from speakers to Sony TV but no luck.

Its very weird. The manual shows that hdmi passes audio and video. For two days i cant seem tk fix the issue ... :/

What else can I do?

okay so you are getting audio of some form. that is good. if your amplifier was in protect mode you would be getting no sound whatsoever.

have you tried both hdmi inputs?
have you tried without the tv connected? do you get any sound now or nothing still?
do you have a device which ouputs via optical? you could test the optical input to see if it works.

if the product doesnt work are you able to take it back?

Solution

Hitpoint

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

Well i get no audio at all if only mh laptop is connected to my reciever via hdmi. I dont have any device with optical connections...
Is it possible for the avr to just pass the whole audio/video signal to mh tv? If so, i dont need the avr at all nor the hdmi in/out that it has ... its so frustrating... im trying for days now...

I will try to return it ...

Any other ideas?

the only other things i can think of would be...

- to check your receivers settings for hdmi. the speakers may be turned off for that mode [hdmi inputs] (normally its a universal "off" for everything though so i doubt this) or something else amiss similar.

- to factory reset the avr. you should be able to find a manual or at least a similar manual for instructions on how to do this. it could be (doubtful) a setting that someone changed.

i'm not hopeful of the above, but its worth checking. also, if you had any other hdmi devices you could check with.. i would do that as a double-check.

if the above dont work, i'm thinking there is something amiss with the electronics

Hitpoint

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015

First of all, thank you trying and keeping up with this post!!!
It looks like that the avr is just passing the signal to the output via the hdmi without producing the audio by itself. Its kind of a "cheap" hdmi tech. I need an additional optical cable from my pc to the reciever which is not possible. I called the guy and he said that he used it only with a dvd player. I guess that this is the reason he is selling the avr :)

Im returning it to him with a full refund in a few days. Im glad it worked out but Im not glad that my first hometheater system didnt work out for me :( Now i know which question i should ask before buying :)

Thank you

quite frankly i've never heard of a receiver that only passed hdmi through without pulling the audio signal from it.

yes, always see such products working if buying used. you never know what you might get.

of course if you had the budget for it you could always buy new.

Hitpoint

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Now the guy doesnt want it back. I am reporting him everywhere with all I got. Im so sick of people like him. I contacted sony support and they said that it should be working with hdmi. Im going to try with optical cable. Its not about the money, I was looking forward to this setup as it should have been my first home system...