Sony: The PSP Go Was Kind of An Experiment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]So it's some kind of experiment... therefore, those who bought it are suckers! Such a Sony thing to do.[/citation]

So what was the basis of the experiment to offer the EU and parts of Asia 10 free games, while Canada and the US got 3? Answer: North Americans will put up with a lot more BS.

G

The main thing wrong with the PSP Go is Sony's half-hearted commitment to it. I don't care about transferring UMD games, but in most cases I can't even re-buy them, because they're not there! And chances are if a game does get released on the PSP store, it's only in one region. Why can't US gamers play the Vagrant Story Playstation Classic? Why can't EU gamers play (insert title here, there's plenty choose from)?

It's no good having nice hardware if there's no games to back it up. The stupid thing is that Sony have plenty of brilliant PSP games but just haven't bothered to get them re-released on the PSN Store.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tearlach2[/nom]That is a truly absurd claim. Are you saying that the PSPgo and PS3 are unlike other consoles in this way (they aren't), and that this made up difference is the reason Sony's sales aren't as strong as Microsoft's?[/citation]

Correct. And also I am amazed I get -7 on this comment since TH is filled with pirates to begin with.

G

I disagree with the fact that the PSP Go didn't sale due to the reason that UMD was not included. I think the bigger issue was the price. we all know that if the PSP go would have been priced at 200 or less everyone would have welcomed it with open arms... forcing developers to go towards digital (something inevitable). the real reason behind psp go failure and the reason why the ps3 somewhat failed at the start was PRICING!

G

Plain and simple Sony is greedy and doesn't really care about the consumers. They didn't add a umd drive cause they don't want you to be able to buy and resell your games.

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I think it's pretty hilarious that their solution to maybe needing to admit that they failed was to declare that 'yes yes we knew it was an experiment that might fail.' Expensive market research indeed!

Going all-digital simply won't work without adequate storage (that doesn't have to be purchased as a costly peripheral) in the games arena. This is unless, of course, we're talking about an onlive-type solution in a magical 8g world where latency and reception issues don't exist (and where some identifying info from your old physical disk entitles you to the download version). The 'hah hah now rebuy all of your games' was a pretty big downer...

Status
Not open for further replies.