Sony to Charge $20 to Used SOCOM PSP Buyers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
How is this news? Other game manufacturers already do crap like this. I bought a used copy of NBA Live 09. You can't use the 'special' features without paying, whereas otherwise you get them free for a ~ year when you register the game the first time. I paid to import my GH Smash Hits songs into GH5. The product code is only valid one time, though. So, if I ever sell my GH Smash Hits disc to someone, they would not be able to import those tracks into GH5.

The charges for add-ons, DLC, and other CRAP is no different. It's all about milking the custom as much as possible.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I hate how the gaming industry tries to vilify the used game market. Car manufacturers, books and the movie industry seems to have gotten along fine for years with the used and rental services around.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
For those of you who are trying to justify buying a used to to buying a used product and first right of sale, they are two completely different things. The fact of the matter is:

You can easily copy, and reproduce any form of data (Ex. a game)

You cannot easily reproduce a car.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]m-manla[/nom]Not sure if this one was smart Sony. But what if someone don't use their PSP on internet access.[/citation]

Sony doesn't seem to make very many smart decisions lately.

G

Sony is and has always been dumb. While they have been known to innovate the innovations are lost to time for lack of adoption, DAT as an example. After the PS2 fiasco, 4 of them in a year, absolute garbage, I will not buy another console, or anything else with the Sony logo on it.

I have always looked at Sony's computer products as "apple" light, pretty, shiny, proprietary, expensive.

I still have my walkman from high school and I still have my discman and they both still work, at least some things they made are quality.

G

I hate how they have basically made this game unrentable now too. With the price of games, alot of people rent a game before they buy it to make sure that it is something worth purchasing. With this form of 'piracy protection', renting a game would roughly equate to $25 or more.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Honestly if I was gamestop or some other company who dealt with used games I would refuse to carry this game at all. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you lol

If they are worried about pissing off Sony, then just make sure to order very limited quantities and make sure its sales suck so bad that no one would ever think to do some crap like that ever again.

I have no interest in this game and don't even own a PSP, this makes me angry because one day in the future I probably will own one (I like to collect old systems and games) so me "Ohhh cool a nice PSP game for 1$ at a yard sale woot!!!" *goes home to play it* "GGRRRR Sony now you want me to pay another $20 for something I picked up for $1 ????" I can see these becoming somewhat collectible after 99.99% of the ones that do sell end up in land fills.

theguy82

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
For those of you who are trying to justify buying a used to to buying a used product and first right of sale, they are two completely different things. The fact of the matter is:

You can easily copy, and reproduce any form of data (Ex. a game)

You cannot easily reproduce a car.

You are right. You can't easily reproduce a car, but you can easily reproduce a movie.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Nope. Don't own a Playstation or anything made by Sony. I used to think Sony was a great brand about 15 years ago. I quickly realized that their shi t is severely overpriced compared to other manufacturers. I'm a PC gamer and when EA and all the other game makers kill the PC market, I'd rather quit gaming entirely than buy a shi t console.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
No swearing allowed on these blogs.

Messages maybe deleted for swearing.

Sony and music industry always wanted to make $$$ on the used market... never mind they already made their cut from the sale. Grrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.