Sony Urged to Lower PS3 Pricetag Before Holiday Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sony currently has no reason to lower prices. They already came out last week to say that sales are AHEAD of schedule. Meaning that they are selling more than expected. Why mess with a good thing. If they 1 Million unis for $100 less that is $100 Million loss in revenue.

Plus the console is only TWO years old. The Xbox 360 is three years old. The PS3 is also still one of the best Blu Ray players out there.

Until a really good NAME BRAND player comes to the market with Profile 2.0 which is lower than the PS3, sony is not going to lower prices. Most likely, the price drop will occur next year. That will be the console's third year which will mimic was Xbox did.

P.S. I paid $600 for mines so a price drop would not affect me much. It just does not make any Financial Business sense to lower price. Demand is still high so why lower price.

G

I own a PS3 and this box is nice! UPNP media browser, no problem at all ..and a blue-ray player:) I'm waiting for new titles!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Its the "Sony" attitude that is going to bury them this holiday season.

$399.99 for a console and basically most of the games are ports from the XBOX version...

At this point, people don't care about BluRay as a MUST have option, an upconverted DVD or in fact a standard DVD is really the way to go. You cannot take a BluRay disc with you in the car (no portable BluRay Players) and you cannot play them in your laptop (Unless you buy a new laptop with a BD player install). All waste of time and money. The average consumer will not look at the PS3 for just a BD Player. And it is not an "ADDED" bonus either.

As for the surge in sales for the PS3, I would like to know how many of the people that purchased the PS3 did it because they already have an XBOX 360 or Wii and would just like to have "another" console.....

G

I agree with Vin, if they are a head of there projected sales, they have no reason to lower there prices. The system is a better value for your dollar over the other consoles: Free Access to the PSN, Blu-Ray, WiFi internet, etc, etc, etc.

Also Sony is really starting to flex there first party exclusive muscle. While I do like Gears (I agree Halo was the most over rated game ever), Sony has the more robust line up this season. They also have much more in the pipe line compared to there competitors. Early 2009 will see more amazing first party releases like: White Night Chronicles and Kill Zone.

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Sony has probably just gotten to the point where they are breaking even or even making some money of the PS3. Pretty sure they don't want to go back loosing money on every console they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.