Sony Vaio mains issue

bluegsi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello,
I have a Sony Vaio VGN laptop that has worked for years on end. The other day I snapped the inner part of the DC inlet which made things very delicate when moving. The power supply came out one day and I couldn't find the inner part of the DC socket so went to fleabay and bought a new power socket / lead for £20. Fitted it this evening and the power LED doesn't light up on the front. Done some diagnostic testing on it, the Mains PSU is giving out 18.5v. And I also tested the board that there is power getting to that, but there is no charge getting to the laptop. The board is fine as there is a small bit of life in the battery and the laptop does boot, but once the battery is dead I'm stuffed. It seems as if the charging circuit or something is faulty, but I am not sure and rather reluctant to buy a new main board from eBay for £120. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Instead of bumping, you could put some images here. Maybe that would raise someone's interest. Well, not mine unfortunately, I wouldn't know anything about it...

What do you mean by "fitted" btw? Soldered?

bluegsi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Fitted means that it was taken apart, the old part removed and the new part fitted. As Sony use a lead from the DC jack to a plug on the MoBo.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I see. Let me chat away some more...

So you systematically excluded everything as potential source of error, but it still doesn't work.

- charger - provides charge
(I've read about Dell laptop chargers, which are getting some "input" from the computer or vice versa... to verify that it's genuine Dell charger or something like that...)

- jack + its cable - new

- computer works on battery
I bet you tried with the battery taken out too (battery's own charging circuit having problems?).

That leaves the motherboard... it would be great if you could try it with someone else's charger and battery. I guess that's not an easy option.

bluegsi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I don't think that trying with someone else's battery will work tbh. Without the battery but AC plugged in the power LED doesn't come on and the laptop will not power up. Wondered if anyone knew what component could be at fault and how to test it...?

bluegsi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Chargers been eliminated, tried 3 chargers & tested with a multimeter.
Battery is shot, but the laptop won't run without the battery in either.
Charging socket has been changed, this is where the problem originated from and
The mo bo must be mostly working as the laptop can run off the small battery that is left. Unless there's some converters / capacitors etc that may have gone on the mo bo, so I wondered what may have blown and how to test if possible.

Thanks for your reply. Any response may help!

Hi :)

Well if it was in our workshop...

we would replace the battery with a known GOOD one... THIS must BE DONE FIRST....

Then we would test the mobo....nobody bothers to repair mobos (not worth the time and hassle) so if we knew the mobo was gone, its new mobo time...and as professionals we do NOT fit second hand boards... the reason is a LOT of the second hand ones are faulty...which sort of defeats the object...lol plus it costs me my guys labour time...

All the best Brett :)